16 tons of silver stolen from Montreal port

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

16 tons of silver stolen from Montreal port

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 am

"A shipping container stolen from Montreal's port this week may have been found in Repentigny, Que. — but the $10 million in silver inside of it at the time of the heist is nowhere to be found.

The Maersk container lifted from the port was found on Saturday afternoon on St-Paul Street in Repentigny, a small city just off the northeast tip of the island of Montreal.

It appears to have been detached from the semi-trailer — also stolen — that was carrying it, and left on the side of a residential street.

The brazen heist began on Wednesday, when one or more individuals stole a semi-trailer from Montreal's west end, drove it to the Port of Montreal, loaded a shipping container carrying 16 tonnes of silver onto it and then took off.

Police are still looking for the truck, a white 1997 Freightliner with the licence plate L548854.

​Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 514-393-1133."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/10m-silver-mi ... 02991.html
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: 16 tons of silver stolen from Montreal port

Postby pitw » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 am

I'm watching the Kijiji ads for a good deal. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:49 pm

pitw wrote:I'm watching the Kijiji ads for a good deal. :thumbup:

all kidding aside, I been thinking about this for a spell.

googled, and the same details, or lack of, over and over.

details- stolen 1997 truck, even the license plates, the seacon, with the name of the largest seacon shipping company.

truck and seacon found empty on side street, no mention of distance to port of side street, but undoubtedly a side street with no cams.

two pictures, one, the empty truck going in, the truck with seacon going out. one detail, 350 cams on the port facility.

the amount, basically 520,000 toz, "valued" at 7.5 mln USD, which in the whole scheme of things is peanuts.

now ASSUMING the Ag was in wholesale 1000 toz "loaves, palletized, polywrapped and strapped, 20 to a pallet, which would be 4 layers of 5 loaves, that would make 26 pallets. one single pallet loader and driver could transfer those 26 pallets in what?....35 to 45 minutes tops?...into another seacon onto a "clean" truck.....they might have even done this, INSIDE, then both trucks come out, ditch the dirty rig, and with a another manifest drove right back into the port, offloaded onto another vessel, which was probably out to sea, for parts unknown, before port authorities even reported the theft.

I think the original shipper of the Ag was the culprit, and not the fabricator company per se, but a high placed individual or two, and since the load was insured, the insurance company will pay...in this case, my guess is that the buyer was the Royal Canadian Mint, (IF they also fabricate their own blanks) and as i'm sure we're aware of, due to extraordinary demand, the RCM isn't allocating Maples right this second, so it would be the seller that gets the insurance money, although that is a secondary issue. Sure the insurance companies will send their "detectives" to poke around...maybe Interpol will get interested....eventually.

but the important question is WHY?....why would either individuals or companies risk their freedom to steal a measly 7.5 mln USD of Ag? Because that, along with every screwed up thing in this world now, is the "new normal".

I smell Mexico. oh yeh. Huge producer of Ag, and how long now have mining co's been producing and selling UNDER the cost of production?......and this market dichotomy only exists because the pricing mechanism, the "board" has been so manipulated, as to totally destroy the concept of free market price discovery.

Now if WE, just regular guys, know how valuable stacking Ag is, you don't think the guys that own these mines, and smelters, and are doing this business LARGE SCALE know as well?.....and put yourself in their position. I know I would going nuclear every time I walked into my office to face yet another of day losing BIG MONEY, because a bunch of Yankee and Brit bankers slam the futures markets, on the product my company digs out of the ground, at great expense....my expense, my money.

and when we talk about Mexico, you talk about a nation, that must be absolute hell. God have mercy, organized crime in Mexico, makes the Italian mafia look like a bunch of panty waist nancy boys. they got no mercy, no conscious down there, you mess with them, they'll cut your grandmothers head off, and leave it on the main drag....and that's just the appetizer part of the meal.

going back to my original theory, lets try and poke some holes, was there anybody on the inside at the Port? Why would there have to be? As long as your manifest is clean, you think the "Sgt Schultz" at the main gate is going to hard eyeball one manifest out of thousands of seacons he sees each day?...even if it is a load of Ag?......that said, i'm SURE the security levels on transferring Au is an entirely different, more amped up ball of wax.

now in any rip off crime, the potential hole, is the soldiers you hire to do the actual crime. They could get caught, sweated and sing, but that's why I smell Mexico. Any "made guy" knows he could get whacked, its figured into his personal risk/reward ratio, but that's the difference between say the old skool Italian/Sicilian mafia and the Mexicans. Italians regard family as "civilians", untouchable, in Mexico, as I wrote earlier, there is no such restraint, and any "soldier" within these organizations, is well aware of this, and any man, or most men, who have wives, children, parents, would rather just do their time, then "rat", and have the knowledge that their betrayal, will result in the most painful hideous deaths of the ones they love the most.

so the next time we gaze so fondly on those Maples, or bars, rounds, whatever, in the peace and tranquility of our homes, think about the backstory. That's why I admonish, don't "worship" that shiny coin, because if you do, it becomes an idol. Stack, yes, worship, no.

one last note, this incident definitely shows us all, how dramatically and artificially underpriced Ag really is, that now, at the wholesale level, we see such tom chicanery....wonder how long these 520,000 toz of Ag will float around on the seas?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

These are the types of heists that the company I work for help company's avoid. Simple trackers and hidden RFID chips within the container and boxes with real-time monitoring (and deviation alrerts) are readily available and I sell for a living to combat this. Wheather it be PM's, museum artifacts, sculptures of or weaponry. This was an inside heist with many people working from within.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:03 am

silverstacker wrote:This was an inside heist with many people working from within.

"Inside heist" and "insider trading"--different means to the same end!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:14 pm

I still maintain the 552,000 toz were back aboard another container ship in another container, out to sea before the theft was even realized.

"inside" job?....yes.......but it was the seller that is suspect one....then again, we shall see...or maybe we wont.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:44 pm

guess my theory was wrong, but I thinking what the smart thing to do, I forget how many dumb white men trod the great white north.

Authorities locate some of the silver stolen from the Port of Montreal

MONTREAL - Authorities say they have recovered about one-third of the $10-million worth of silver stolen from the Port of Montreal last week.Thieves made off with a truck in the city's west end, drove it to the port and loaded a shipping container onto it.While the container was found empty on Saturday, the arrest of five men aged 35 to 53 as well as related raids allowed authorities to locate some of the booty.Three of the five suspects were freed and will appear in court at a later date, while the two others were arraigned Thursday on charges of theft, conspiracy and trafficking in criminally obtained goods over $5,000.Both Norberto Cordeiro and Jaswinder Singh were held in custody pending a bail hearing scheduled for Friday morning. -

http://www.timescolonist.com/authoritie ... -1.2054684
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 am

This whole story reminds me of the giant toonie theft back in 1996 (the year they came out)
a shipping container containing $2,000,000 of toonies fresh from the mint in Winnipeg was
stolen from a rail yard (also in Montreal) in a similar fashion. (I couldn't find a link to the
story because not many news articles from 1996 are archived on the web so you'll have to
take my word on it. ^_-)

The toonie theives were caught about 9 months later and they still had all but $75,000 of it.
(They were also caught with all kinds of other stuff ranging from counterfiet banknotes, to
drugs, to various weapons, basically the toonie theft was literally "small change" to them
but probably what got them caught.)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:05 am

fansubs_ca wrote:This whole story reminds me of the giant toonie theft back in 1996 (the year they came out)
a shipping container containing $2,000,000 of toonies fresh from the mint in Winnipeg was
stolen from a rail yard (also in Montreal) in a similar fashion. (I couldn't find a link to the
story because not many news articles from 1996 are archived on the web so you'll have to
take my word on it. ^_-)

The toonie theives were caught about 9 months later and they still had all but $75,000 of it.
(They were also caught with all kinds of other stuff ranging from counterfiet banknotes, to
drugs, to various weapons, basically the toonie theft was literally "small change" to them
but probably what got them caught.)

I have found the ACTUAL footage of the "toonie theft" court footage, WARNING, some very foul language is used by the defendants, so if you are offended by such ....DO NOT WATCH! I assume in Canadian courts they are more lenient with such.

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 am

What is it with Montreal area wharehouse heists?

I remember the great Maple Syrup heist of 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/20 ... yrup-heist

On the morning of July 30, 2012, an accountant named Michel Gauvreau arrived at the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, housed in a huge red brick warehouse on the side of the Trans-Canadian Highway in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, about two hours northeast of Montreal. Inside, baby-blue barrels of maple syrup were stacked six high in rows hundreds deep. Full, each barrel weighs about 620 pounds.

Sixty percent, or 6 million pounds of syrup, had vanished, worth about $18 million wholesale.

I think it's awesome that Canada even has a Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:53 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:What is it with Montreal area wharehouse heists?

I remember the great Maple Syrup heist of 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/20 ... yrup-heist

On the morning of July 30, 2012, an accountant named Michel Gauvreau arrived at the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, housed in a huge red brick warehouse on the side of the Trans-Canadian Highway in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, about two hours northeast of Montreal. Inside, baby-blue barrels of maple syrup were stacked six high in rows hundreds deep. Full, each barrel weighs about 620 pounds.

Sixty percent, or 6 million pounds of syrup, had vanished, worth about $18 million wholesale.

I think it's awesome that Canada even has a Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve

someone has sticky fingers :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:02 am

neilgin1 wrote:I have found the ACTUAL footage of the "toonie theft" court footage, WARNING, some very foul language is used by the defendants, so if you are offended by such ....DO NOT WATCH! I assume in Canadian courts they are more lenient with such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XP_3PWFKhM

I got a "Sorry No Snowniggers"* message.
*(Term found in the entry for Canada on Encyclopedia Dramatica)

Could someone outside Canada capture the video from Youtube and either put it in your
web space or upload it to my FTP if I give you a login? (Private messaage me with your
choice of user name and password and I'll set it up.) The software to capture Youtube
videos can be found here:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/down ... c-free.php
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals