Nice Up Day... How Long will it Last?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What will happen to silver and gold tomorrow; Rate Hike?

1. They are going to raise rates .25 pts
11%
2. They are going to raise rates .112
4%
3. They are going to leave rates at zero, but hint strongly of rate hikes to come.
24%
4. Silver will continue to gain tomorrow.
7%
5. Gold will continue to gain tomorrow.
9%
6. They will take back half of silver's gain today tomorrow
9%
7. They will take back half of gold's gain today tomorrow
4%
8. They will crush silver below where it began today
15%
9. They will crush gold below where it began today
7%
10. Both metals will trade little unchanged from their close today
11%

Total votes : 46

Nice Up Day... How Long will it Last?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Silver and Gold both had a nice spike and held it into the close. What does tomorrow hold?
Rate hike? Yes or no?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Nice Up Day... How Long will it Last?

Postby pennypicker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Well I guess if the fed raises rates tomorrow it will lead to a stronger dollar and thus lower PMs...maybe, probably, perhaps....heck I'm tired of thinking about it.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Head-fake rally. Won't last long.

Wait long enough and supply will replenish and premiums will come back down.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Fed needs to save face. .25 bp silver and gold will raise slightly.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Ray's 50 choice poll. Choose wisely.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:48 am

wanted to be a democrat and vote multiple times.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 am

Posting to add a PM chart.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

[L],I always think it is going up tomorrow. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gamecock » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:52 am

It seems to always jump up when the fed has a policy meeting, then drop back down the next day or next week.
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:19 am

Gamecock wrote:It seems to always jump up when the fed has a policy meeting, then drop back down the next day or next week.

I seem to have just the opposite recall (of course, my memory sucks). Seems to me they would always hammer it leading into the meetings, or options
expiry... and then slowly let it recover the following few days. They hate it when it has two up days in a row. :thumbdown:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby InfleXion » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:54 am

My gut feels that they will postpone the rate hike for now and raise .25 basis points in December, and that metals will continue to be rangebound until market turbulence picks up, whether due to an impending rate hike or general consequences of debt bubbles bursting.

Elliot Wave theorists point to the current up move in the Dow as being expected as the last "B" up move before a big "C" waterfall that could potentially bring the Dow as low as 4,000 if the longterm megaphone pattern plays out. If this does occur, I expect paper metals to be liquidated as well and the supply picture to become front and center.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:11 pm

InfleXion wrote:My gut feels that they will postpone the rate hike for now and raise .25 basis points in December, and that metals will continue to be rangebound until market turbulence picks up, whether due to an impending rate hike or general consequences of debt bubbles bursting.

Elliot Wave theorists point to the current up move in the Dow as being expected as the last "B" up move before a big "C" waterfall that could potentially bring the Dow as low as 4,000 if the longterm megaphone pattern plays out. If this does occur, I expect paper metals to be liquidated as well and the supply picture to become front and center.

That's a reasonable sequence to consider.

That said, that the Fed didn't hike, after years of saying they would, and hinting that this was the month, should send a message to some of the remaining people that are in normalcy bias, that things are NOT good. It might actually backfire on the Fed, if that sentiment catches on. Of course the Fed can't really hike any substantial amount for any substantial amount of any time, we know that. And they know that. And they know we know that. Now we know for sure that they know that we know that they know that. ;) :lol: So they will now blame their failure to hike on other countries, as they did today. It's not the US that's in trouble. It's the GLOBAL problem. :roll:

While I think Elliot Wave has some validity (at least in hindsight) as a predictor of human behavior, rather like Asimov's "Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation" trilogy, Elliot Wave falls apart in these markets because it can't predict what happens when the data that forms the wave is itself manipulated. Which they are now doing. So I think it is totally unreliable these days, but still interesting.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby InfleXion » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:53 am

Yeah, I'm not a huge proponent of Elliott Wave theory as I've yet to see it be a reliable indicator first hand, and I 100% agree that in a manipulated market you can't rely on chart analysis. To me the megaphone pattern does carry more weight though than the Elliott Wave, because both the dot com bubble and the 2008 housing bubble set that up. Now that the Fed's credibility is shot and they are admitting to the world through their actions that the economy is not well without ZIRP, I wouldn't be surprised to see downside no matter what they do going forward. Raising rates amounts to taking the patient off their life saving medicine, and doing anything else undermines confidence in the economy. I think it's a foregone conclusion that central banks will eventually lose control since the solution they have to the problem (more debt) is the same as the problem they're "trying" to solve (vicious cycles / feedback loops are not sustainable), and this is a pretty relevant milestone toward that end.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:57 am

knibloe wrote:wanted to be a democrat and vote multiple times.

No, you can't vote under Ardent Listener's account... ;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals