Spiked by what news?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Spiked by what news?

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 am

Was there some news this morning that prompted the uptick in Au/Ag?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Spiked by what news?

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:24 am

I was trying to figure this out myself. Russia in Syria? Short-seller's squeeze is propelling the momentum now that it started... but what started it?

There's some behind the scenes (mostly) developments going on with the pending (eventually) failure of Deutsche Bank as well as Glencore as well
that could be causing a rush to safe havens. Stock marker dropping as well, until it is propped up (again)... until the selling turns into a torrent that
can't be dammed.

Of course, I've been damning the stock market for the last few years. :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:36 am

jobs numbers
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

Low jobs numbers used to be positive for the market, now they're not. Absurd algos.

These sharp spikes in PM prices never seem to hold.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 pm

If it were based on Russia/Syria you'd think the spike would have happened yesterday or the day before, when there was actually a drop in prices. I stopped trying to make sense of these markets. I am expecting the GSR to go higher before all is said and done which would imply lower metal prices.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Yankees clinched a playoff spot.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Hurricane Joaquin and the amounts of rainfall that will be pushed onto the U.S. east coast.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby smalltimeopn » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Ravens beat the Steelers in OT!!
Seriously, these characters can only keep this game going for so long....
Computer programs running like crazy to keep the markets propped up, made up economic reports, etc....
When it crashes, those holding physical will be glad they held.
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypicker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Market Harmony wrote:jobs numbers

Yep, low job report gives the fed another reason not to raise interest rates. This puts pressure on the dollar and PM's will increase in the short term. But the fed will raise rates sooner or later and the dollar will rise and PM's will fall.

Up....down.....up.....down.....up......down

Thank goodness football is here :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverstacker » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:55 pm

cooyon wrote:Yankees clinched a playoff spot.

:lol: :lol: :thumbdown:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gamecock » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

pres of a federal reserve bank calls for more stimulus
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kocherlak ... 00751.html
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:12 am

A new set of jobs numbers are to be reported this Friday. Another big move in the gold and silver market after the report comes out could be a major foreshadowing of the effect that raising rates will have in the PM market. There are arguments on both sides of the debate of raising interest rates, and the effect on PM markets... one argument says that raising the FED rates means an end to easy money and inflation. The other says that raising interest rates in the US will have a compounding effect on the investments worldwide... a shifting of money from government debt (bonds) to private assets (stocks, etc). The former is a direct correlation to inflation, the latter is an anticipation of inflation.

The FED raised rates (2004-2007) while gold was forming the base of the big move in 2007. Gold went from ~$400 (2004) to ~$700 (2007) at the SAME TIME that the FED rate increased from ~1% to ~5%. This move was in anticipation of inflation, which then began AFTER 2007. At that point, Gold went from $700 to $1,900 in 4 years.

FED "stimulus" has been government debt-centric (bond buying programs) and not monetary base-centric (printing) for the latest rounds of QE. Therefore, the value of government debt is bloated, and when the bond exit sign illuminates the amount of capital trying to fit through the door will be overwhelming. Gold and Silver will again have a buyer... a big buyer!
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 am

Market Harmony wrote:A new set of jobs numbers are to be reported this Friday. Another big move in the gold and silver market after the report comes out could be a major foreshadowing of the effect that raising rates will have in the PM market.

I'm hoping/expecting TPTB to slam the PM prices down before/when that happens.

My dry powder is all ready!
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:40 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:A new set of jobs numbers are to be reported this Friday. Another big move in the gold and silver market after the report comes out could be a major foreshadowing of the effect that raising rates will have in the PM market.

I had some powder in store waiting for the previous smack down when silver hit the low $14's. But when I was ready to take advantage of it the premiums had shot up to the point where ASE's and Maples were now costing more than prior to the smack down :o Curious to see what happens this time (premium wise) should another smack down arrive--and it will.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Even though spot is up, I agree, cheaper silver than when it was down
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

I had some powder in store waiting for the previous smack down when silver hit the low $14's. But when I was ready to take advantage of it the premiums had shot up to the point where ASE's and Maples were now costing more than prior to the smack down :o Curious to see what happens this time (premium wise) should another smack down arrive--and it will.

I monitor PM prices all day long, even at work. Got to be quick on the trigger if/when the big slam downs happen (before the premiums are raised). I've done this many times. I have never bought when the "shortage meme" is in full effect and premiums are high.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 am

Don't just get that powder ready. Employ it. Put it to work. Buy something shiny today. The jobs report just made things much cheaper... but for how long?

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:06 am

Market Harmony wrote:Don't just get that powder ready. Employ it. Put it to work. Buy something shiny today. The jobs report just made things much cheaper... but for how long?

Just picked up 100 rounds of Provident Prospectors @ $15.69 Should have been two cents cheaper but the price fluctuated by the time I was able to finalize the purchase. Still.... Image
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:14 am

Market Harmony wrote:Don't just get that powder ready. Employ it. Put it to work. Buy something shiny today. The jobs report just made things much cheaper... but for how long?

Yesterday on ebay Apmex had a 2-hour sale on rolls of ASE's for $353.80 delivered. And last week Target had a two day sale on $100 ebay e-gift cards for $95 each and I purchased six. So yesterday I purchased two of Apmex's rolls and applied all six gift cards which translated to a net cost of $338.80 per roll ($16.94 per ASE). :thumbup:
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 pm

pennypicker wrote:

Yesterday on ebay Apmex had a 2-hour sale on rolls of ASE's for $353.80 delivered. And last week Target had a two day sale on $100 ebay e-gift cards for $95 each and I purchased six. So yesterday I purchased two of Apmex's rolls and applied all six gift cards which translated to a net cost of $338.80 per roll ($16.94 per ASE). :thumbup:

Well done sir
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 am

pennypicker wrote:

Well played and paid :thumbup:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 am

Be sure to read the preceding message stream.

And now the jobs report reverses from November 2015... it may be time to reverse some strategies for now. Bonds are looking better for the mean time.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 am

It's not just "this or that". It's a generally broadening sense (even if it is only broadening to a few more) that things aren't well, despite what MSM says. The jobs report was horrific, which says that it was so bad that they couldn't doctor it up like they usually do. The "unemployment rate" went down, to 4.7%! But the number of people removed from the workforce in order to do that was staggering - half a million!

The flood always starts with a trickle. But the dam is getting weakened, the foundations loosened. One minute all will still appear to be fine. The next - it cracks, deforms, pieces fall, and shoring up the dam is no longer possible. It's lost, and nothing can be done but telegraph to the folks in the valley to run, run for their lives. For many it will be too late.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:12 pm

68Camaro wrote:It's not just "this or that". It's a generally broadening sense (even if it is only broadening to a few more) that things aren't well, despite what MSM says. The jobs report was horrific, which says that it was so bad that they couldn't doctor it up like they usually do. The "unemployment rate" went down, to 4.7%! But the number of people removed from the workforce in order to do that was staggering - half a million!

The flood always starts with a trickle. But the dam is getting weakened, the foundations loosened. One minute all will still appear to be fine. The next - it cracks, deforms, pieces fall, and shoring up the dam is no longer possible. It's lost, and nothing can be done but telegraph to the folks in the valley to run, run for their lives. For many it will be too late.

Dam fine analogy, if I say so myself :clap: :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Market Harmony wrote: Bonds are looking better for the mean time.

Well, this will hopefully make my 401K happy. I was starting to toy with the idea of dumping the bonds I have, and putting the funds in something else.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals