Alea Iacta Est

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Alea Iacta Est

Postby aristobolus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Here is a video and quote from our good Treasury Secretary today:

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/02/17/geit ... stainable/

"Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner today admitted under questioning from Sen. Sessions that the president’s own budget, submitted Monday, calls for interest payments and obligations that are “excessively high” and “unsustainable.” The president’s plan accumulates $13 trillion in new gross debt, with interest payments on the debt rising to $844 billion a year by 2021."

So our good Secretary admits that the President's budget is "unsustainable", but the President says that he will veto any alternative budget! Politics aside, the "die is cast" for our economic demise. Now we have open admission that this economy is heading for a crash.

Don't panic; just Be Prepared!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Re: Alea Iacta Est

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, I've been telling the wife for about 3.5/ 4 yrs. now they are trying to crash the dollar! How else do you explain all the dunder-head moves these guys make?!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm

"Modern liberalism's irrationality can only be understood as the product of psychopathology. So extravagant are the patterns of thinking, emoting, behaving and relating that characterize the liberal mind that it's relentless protests and demands become understandable only as disorders of the psyche."

From the book: The Liberal Mind, The Psychological Causes of Political Madness, by Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr., M.D.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Economist » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Aristobolus,

Listening to the budget "debates" this week, I'm finding myself in full agreement with you. I sigh and shake my head about the economic crises ahead, but heck, at least I'll be able to do well with copper pennies. Thomas Sowell summarizes the really big-picture view of what's going on here:

"The prevalence of inflation among the most diverse kinds of governments and across thousands of years of history, suggest that no small part of the political art consists in misstating options and in trying to give the appearance of simultaneously satisfying competing claims when they cannot be satisfied in reality." (from _Knowledge and Decisions_, 1980)
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

The poor decisions made at the federal level are not just financial in nature. Our foreign policy has also been mostly suicidal since the days of Woodrow Wilson.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Economist wrote:Aristobolus,

Listening to the budget "debates" this week, I'm finding myself in full agreement with you. I sigh and shake my head about the economic crises ahead, but heck, at least I'll be able to do well with copper pennies. Thomas Sowell summarizes the really big-picture view of what's going on here:

"The prevalence of inflation among the most diverse kinds of governments and across thousands of years of history, suggest that no small part of the political art consists in misstating options and in trying to give the appearance of simultaneously satisfying competing claims when they cannot be satisfied in reality." (from _Knowledge and Decisions_, 1980)

BTW, Thomas Sowell not gives sound economic principles, but his work on "Late Talkers Syndrome" has been of great benefit to our family as well. My first child only spoke one word up to age three, once (kitty)! Many were saying that it could be autism, but Sowell's son also had followed the same pattern. Many of these children have engineers, artist, mathematicians and the like in the family.

It is true that at times speech delay can indicate serious challenges, but other times it can be indicative of a high IQ child as well. As for my son, I am not sure about high IQ; but he can't stop talking now that he is nine!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals