Triple Hallmark? Step aside Apmex--hello Baypreciousmetals!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Triple Hallmark? Step aside Apmex--hello Baypreciousmetals!

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 am

Looks like there's a new dog in town in the online bullion wars. I liked everything about Bay Precious Metals from the get go and they have been my "go to" company for bullion for four months now. The Royal Canadian Mint likes them as well having chose Bay Precious Metals as their exclusive seller of their beautiful Ebay/Royal Canadian Mint 10 oz silver bar.

And now Ebay and Bay Precious Metals have teamed up with NGC to offer a "triple hallmarked" coin (NCG, Ebay, Bay Precious Metals)--talk about provenance!

Take a step to the side Apmex 'cause there's a new dog in town.
Image ImageImage
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Triple Hallmark? Step aside Apmex--hello Baypreciousmeta

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:05 pm

good news, bad news. You already mentioned the good news. The bad news is... there's going to be a lot of trusting ebay buyers
that will fall prey to easily faked NGC holders containing counterfeit Chinese knock offs. :sick: :thumbdown:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Why would I want ebay printed on the coffin for my eagle?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:46 pm

beauanderos wrote:good news, bad news. You already mentioned the good news. The bad news is... there's going to be a lot of trusting ebay buyers
that will fall prey to easily faked NGC holders containing counterfeit Chinese knock offs. :sick: :thumbdown:

Those Chinese...what can we do about them :?:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Do they offer any deals like Provident, APMEX, etc? If so, I haven't seen any posted here or on BS. Maybe I'm missing the details. :?
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Do they offer any deals like Provident, APMEX, etc? If so, I haven't seen any posted here or on BS. Maybe I'm missing the details. :?

Yes they have deals almost daily. Simply go to an Ebay page and click "Shop by Category" located to the immediate right of the Ebay logo. Then click "Coins and Paper Money". Then click "Daily Deals" and all the daily deals from the major bullion sellers come into view. And today Baypreciousmetals has for sale on Daily Deals a lot of 100 2016 silver eagles for $1726 ($345 a roll). These guys don't mess around and they price their stuff to move.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:47 am

So did Hannes Tulving...and his business flamed out in spectacular fashion.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Treetop » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:57 am

I dunno. The types of circumstances I can picture where I want to prove my metal is legit I cant imagine a chunk of plastic will make it more convincing. If I sell it here, to a place like apmex or a local dealer they will all know its legit. If Im trying to trade a few ounces for a goat or somesuch in some more extreme scenario I expect the coins will be broken out of the plastic so they can feel it and test it to their own standards anyway. I could see a scenario where if fakes are increasingly common the plastic might be relevant to a few sources, but that would mostly relate to premium retained Id expect. Youd still be able to sell your metals just fine.

My 2 copper cents anyway, to each their own.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:55 am

Treetop wrote:I dunno. The types of circumstances I can picture where I want to prove my metal is legit I cant imagine a chunk of plastic will make it more convincing. If I sell it here, to a place like apmex or a local dealer they will all know its legit. If Im trying to trade a few ounces for a goat or somesuch in some more extreme scenario I expect the coins will be broken out of the plastic so they can feel it and test it to their own standards anyway. I could see a scenario where if fakes are increasingly common the plastic might be relevant to a few sources, but that would mostly relate to premium retained Id expect. Youd still be able to sell your metals just fine.

My 2 copper cents anyway, to each their own.

Agree. The main point of my thread is simply that Bay Precious Metals is garnering a lot of respect in the industry, especially with the likes of the Royal Canadian Mint, Ebay & NGC.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 pm

The idea of numismatic bullion coins in itself is totally absurd.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:The idea of numismatic bullion coins in itself is totally absurd.

These aren't being touted as numismatic, merely as genuine certified by a third party. In my book, worthy of a percent or two above unslabbed.
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 am

beauanderos wrote:good news, bad news. You already mentioned the good news. The bad news is... there's going to be a lot of trusting ebay buyers

http://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2016/02/chinese-counterfeiters-target-silver-bullion-products.all.html :thumbdown:
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for the excellent read Ray. Yes NGC & PCGS slabs are being counterfeited. Same with PSA sports card slabs as well. Here in the Los Angeles area there's counterfeit junk everywhere coming in from China and Mexico. Bogus gold jewelry with stamped 14K, 18K is common. Fake Rolex's down to fake perfumes, designer purses, shoes, even fake higher end deodorant. Local swap meets are full of fake crap--it's everywhere here in so. Cal.

Saw a special on TV where customs officials at the Long Beach & L.A. harbor ports have massive warehouses stacked with pallets four high of confiscated bogus stuff coming in from overseas. They said its getting worse and they can't keep up with it. :shock:

Those 10 oz Ebay/RCM bars seem to be the safest bullion item out there for the time being.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Bay Precious Metals = Coins-'N-Things, one of the largest precious metal distributors in the country. Bay Precious Metals is their relatively new direct-to-retail effort. Previously they only dealt wholesale to other dealers.

Anything can be counterfeited. Stamping "eBay" on a silver bar doesn't make it any harder to copy. Maybe eBay will take reports of counterfeits a little more seriously since their name is on it, but don't hold your breath. eBay collects the same fees on counterfeit listings as they do on legit listings and doesn't put much effort into policing things unless it's a government order or you sue them.
natsb88

Postby pennypicker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:15 pm

natsb88 wrote:Bay Precious Metals = Coins-'N-Things, one of the largest precious metal distributors in the country. Bay Precious Metals is their relatively new direct-to-retail effort. Previously they only dealt wholesale to other dealers.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering who these guys were.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals