Slv stock good or bad?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Slv stock good or bad?

Postby aaa30040 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 pm

If you have Ira money that you can't withdraw without taxes and penalties is slv stock a good proxy for silver?
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Slv stock good or bad?

Postby DaMangRon » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 pm

I suppose...but kinda boring. In my self directed account within my 401k I own 10 gold/silver mining companies. Some of them pay small divendends which is kinda nice :) If you're gonna jump in on a few of them better do it quick...earnings reports come out this week. I think the best 2 picks are GG and AUY
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silverflake » Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Proxy for silver? Nothing replaces what you can hold in your hand. But if you really want something trustworthy in "paper" or "cyber" form, I use CEF (Central Fund of Canada) or PSLV which is Sprotts physical silver trust.

It appears too that it is possible to convert your IRA to be able to buy and keep physical gold and silver. It entails creating an LLC but don't quote me on that. Do your own due diligence.

Keep stacking (preferably physical stuff).
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon May 02, 2016 10:13 pm

check out McAlvany.com they have means to convert your IRA to hold physical silver. I'm sure there are others, perhaps MilesFranklin?

SIL and SILJ will easily outperform SLV without using leverage. Then there are AGQ and USLV. SLV is a waste of time, IMO :shifty:

CDE and AG are up over 200% the last three months, several others (FSM, EXK, PAAS, SSRI) are up either close to or over 100%.

Silver and gold are about to explode, thanks to the arbitrage since the SGE opened 4/19. The miners will leverage any gains that are
demonstrated by changes in physical spot. Make sure you have your stack where you want it, tho, before playing with the equities. ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 am

Bad. Pslv if you want a basic silver-only efund. cef for a gold silver mix.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:48 am

There are those out there (pretty sure Ted Butler is one of them) who say that you have no way of knowing how much silver is actually in the SLV silver vault. If something happened and all of a sudden it was announced that there is only half the silver in the vault compared with what is supposed to be in there, you could have a situation where SLV goes down sharply in price the same time physical silver goes up sharply. Also, if you are hedged and don't have all your silver in one place, you should be fine.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Bigjohn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:There are those out there (pretty sure Ted Butler is one of them) who say that you have no way of knowing how much silver is actually in the SLV silver vault. If something happened and all of a sudden it was announced that there is only half the silver in the vault compared with what is supposed to be in there, you could have a situation where SLV goes down sharply in price the same time physical silver goes up sharply. Also, if you are hedged and don't have all your silver in one place, you should be fine.

This. Always better to hold physical silver. Same with banks, if everyone wants to withdraw, not a single bank will have enough money. If SHTF, only the fastest few will get their stuff, everyone else will be left holding the bag
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby deenz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:18 am

I'd rather hold mining interests in stocks and silver/gold in hand. SLV is for jumping into and out of, not for long-term holding in my opinion.
deenz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I'd go SLW.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:38 pm

johnbrickner wrote:I'd go SLW.

Do you mean Silver Wheaton stock (SLW) or the silver ETF (SLV)?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:07 am

SLW is Silver Wheaton
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals