What would make you feel worse?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What would make you feel worse?

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Here's the scenario. We've all watched the nice climb silver has made since Brexit.

What would make you feel worse? Selling at $20 and then watching the price rapidly climb to $21?

Or not selling at $20 and watching the price quickly fall back to $19?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What would make you feel worse?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Neither would make me feel bad. Overall, I imagine not selling and seeing a pullback occur would probably be a tad worse.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Even worse is the feeling of having sold 40 ten oz silver bars (both here and on craigslist) just a week prior to Brexit with an average sell price of $168 delivered--now that hurts :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:32 pm

pennypicker wrote:Even worse is the feeling of having sold 40 ten oz silver bars (both here and on craigslist) just a week prior to Brexit with an average sell price of $168 delivered--now that hurts :o

ouch! :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Not buying at $17 and watching the price climb to 20 within two days... :twisted:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Country » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:11 pm

pennypicker wrote:Even worse is the feeling of having sold 40 ten oz silver bars (both here and on craigslist) just a week prior to Brexit with an average sell price of $168 delivered--now that hurts :o

Why were you selling? I guess everyone has reasons. My problem in the past has been holding onto stuff too long and then watching it go DOWN. For example, watching GDX go from 40 to 13.

But, looking at the risk/rewards for Brexit, estimates gave you a far greater reward (SILVER at $20+) than risk of loss (SILVER at $15). Pre-Brexit, I was a buyer...
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Country wrote:

Why were you selling? I guess everyone has reasons. My problem in the past has been holding onto stuff too long and then watching it go DOWN. For example, watching GDX go from 40 to 13.

But, looking at the risk/rewards for Brexit, estimates gave you a far greater reward (SILVER at $20+) than risk of loss (SILVER at $15). Pre-Brexit, I was a buyer...

Property taxes came due. And if memory serves me correctly you grabbed up several of those bars yourself--nice timing!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:20 pm

selling at any price makes me feel bad.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:15 pm

I bought some from you and I'm not planning to sell them anytime soon; a $1 price swing either way doesn't affect me at all.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Country wrote:
pennypicker wrote: Pre-Brexit, I was a buyer...

Ditto. now I'm on the sidelines. Not yet a seller. Maybe at $25, I'll swap out some of my foreign for more 90% or .999. Maybe at $50, I'll swap some of my graded for the same. Maybe at $75, I'll swap some of my premium bullion for even more . . . Maybe not. Maybe, I'll use the proceeds to assure an ideal retirement but, I'm still imaging what that ideal really is.

It seems to revolve around a resilient community. We'll see. Perhaps I should say, we'll see where.

Oh, I forgot to answer the question. Neither would make me feel badly. But, I'm not selling right now so go ahead and drop it to $19.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:44 am

Neither. I'm in this for the long haul. Bought several hundred ounces long before Brexit was in the MSM.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 pm

beauanderos wrote:Here's the scenario. We've all watched the nice climb silver has made since Brexit.

What would make you feel worse? Selling at $20 and then watching the price rapidly climb to $21?

Or not selling at $20 and watching the price quickly fall back to $19?

dunno OB, talk to me when my buddy (no sarcasm) finally takes out these surgical staples in my groin and upper thigh, coz a cath doc crushed my right femoral artery in the leg, which my buddy saved. Now I am VERY disappointed in a few doctors up north, and this disappointment will be expressed when counsel starts to rattle the legal tree....later. Don't worry OB, i'm fine, ambulatory and getting ready to mow some pasture, just a little ornery at trust betrayed, but i'll let counsel deal with that, and just watch Ag trade...lol.

Happy 4th! YB
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals