where has everybody gone?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

where has everybody gone?

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:55 am

i realize this forum has a smaller core group of stackers (thank God)...(and I might add a group of stackers, that treat each other with respect....rare on the net!)

I realize there's only so much one can post or say about Ag/Au.

BUT, I take it as a "tell" that we are on the cusp of an upside break out, that posting has gone a little moribund.

not that everybody has suddenly "dropped" stacking.....or it isn't a part of personal wealth insurance. (i'm sure burn-out, or frustration has set in)

But remember when Ag in 2011 was zipping up to $50?...it was pretty darn dramatic, and guys were posting, and opining, etc?

Now, its become apparent, at least to me, TPTB CANNOT push Ag down, and we are banding in the $20+ board level, so what's to say?

the news, both national and global is a kind of horror show, a guy would have to sub-mental to know, things just aint right.

this summer is kind of like the silence before the plunge.

here's a couple of items I discovered this morning, while digging. I've canted my stacking more to RCM .9999 Maples, rather than 90/40 US Ag coinage, but I still watch quality 90/40% rolls on Ebay....just how they trade, number of bids, quality of bidders, etc.....and I've noticed a lack of robust biding...just right now, there are quality rolls that are trading 15 to 18 times face, with 8 hours to go, and the number of bids are in the single digits....moribund, lack of interest.

I also noticed this...in myself, my favorite cash house is MCM, and they have a 50 count roll of 1/10 toz Au American Eagles offered at a not too bad premium over the board, BUT when I think of pulling the trigger, I think this: do I want to take FRN's and buy Au at a G/S ratio of 65 to 1?

I can't do it......so there it is, one other thing that has me mightily disturbed, (among the many ugly occurrences called "news")....its the stock price of two major Euro banks, Deustche Bank and Credit Suisse, BOTH of which are trading at all time lows.

to me? that's the canary in the coal mine....hope i'm wrong, fondly, n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: where has everybody gone?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:11 am

The penny is the base of this board. It won't get exciting around here unless the copper price takes off or the government really moves to get rid of the penny altogether. Realcent will persevere as there are many quality people that realize what a gem this place is and how it is a wonderful resource it is for people to connect and trade with honorable folks. The new bull in precious metals/Brexit/continued global money printing sure keeps things exciting for me.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:41 am

I read my fav subforums here every day, at least once.

I have a big deal cooking on a slow burner. It just kills me to see Ag creep up when I know I have a big buy on my horizon.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:27 am

I click the "View unread posts" button when I log on and read everything posted. I have noticed it has been quite slow for quite awhile now. It used to take me a day or two to read the posts on a KSA weekend, now not a problem. I have started working backwards and am now to Dec 2013. There is a lot of good info on this site folks!

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:40 am

neilgin1 wrote:, a guy would have to sub-mental to know, things just aint right.

+1
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:55 am

For me, the summertime is always really busy. I try to check in daily to read, but haven't had much time to post.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:26 am

This....

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Neil I noticed the lack of traffic myself and wonder if there is a price point at which things pick up. As mentioned, the penny IS the anchor of this board but silver and gold certainly seem "sexier". One other issue and I am a small bit guilty of this, is normalcy bias. Guys, when I see what I have in my portfolio continuously going up, my glasses get a shade of rosey. Yep, my common sense comes to me at the end of the day and I see the failure of the E.U., the circus of American Presidential politics and the destruction of race relations and it all comes back. But Perhaps a little of that has crept in. Time to shake it off.

To get away from some of it, I took up fishing (see other thread in members only forum). Mainly because thinking about all this stuff gets me down. Need an escape.

Well, regardless, stack while you can. Something is brewing. I feel it.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:52 pm

We're all reading and checking in. But like you say, at this point what more can one say? The world is a frickin' disaster - but with a few exceptions the normalcy bias has folks keepin' on. Despite that a lot of folks still feel in their subconscious that the world isn't well but they don't know what to do about it. Because they have that sense it doesn't take them long to freak out when things start to take a bad turn.

Nothing has changed for me or those I know who share my concerns. We're still in prep mode. I'm in a different phase than I was 3 or 6 years ago - but it's a process that is never finished, and I still hope to never have to use most of them, but I'm afraid something bad is coming no matter what I prefer.

I just think this is going to be one of the strangest years in record and we're only halfway through it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rosco » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 pm

68Camaro wrote:We're all reading and checking in. But it's a process that is never finished, and I still hope to never have to use most of them, but I'm afraid something bad is coming no matter what I prefer.

I just think this is going to be one of the strangest years in record and we're only halfway through it.

Well said . Politics and rumors of war have me in a twist. We are late 70s and mid 80s in Fair Health, Slowly Spending Capital to live Now not sure what to plan for. :roll:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:29 am

Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep quiet"
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:58 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep quiet"

"It is better to be thought a fool... than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:24 am

beauanderos wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep quiet"

"It is better to be thought a fool... than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." :shifty:

Look at you... Quoting proverbs and all... :) well done.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:33 pm

justoneguy wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:, a guy would have to sub-mental to know, things just aint right.

+1

+2
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:06 pm

8-0 "Yep."

Dangit!!! Now everyone knows!! Argh.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I asked the same thing in another thread. Lots going on with Au and Ag lately and not many people posting. I thought that was a bit strange as well.

I've been accumulating Ag since 1985, but I feel that I have enough now. I'm still buying fractional 1/10oz Au coins on dips. I hope we get a few more big dips.

I stopped sorting Cu because I got less and less coppers as time passed. Was getting 20-25% in 2010/11, but towards the end of last year I was getting only 10%... definitely not worth the time, effort and gas.

I'm sure we all agree we are living in interesting times. Things are getting worse all the time, seems like we get a terrorist incident/killing every week now. Soon, I predict we'll see them every day... on US soil too.

Let's hope for the best, but we should prepare for the worst. Be careful out there.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:06 am

silverflake wrote:Neil I noticed the lack of traffic myself and wonder if there is a price point at which things pick up. As mentioned, the penny IS the anchor of this board but silver and gold certainly seem "sexier". One other issue and I am a small bit guilty of this, is normalcy bias. Guys, when I see what I have in my portfolio continuously going up, my glasses get a shade of rosey. Yep, my common sense comes to me at the end of the day and I see the failure of the E.U., the circus of American Presidential politics and the destruction of race relations and it all comes back. But Perhaps a little of that has crept in. Time to shake it off.

To get away from some of it, I took up fishing (see other thread in members only forum). Mainly because thinking about all this stuff gets me down. Need an escape.

Well, regardless, stack while you can. Something is brewing. I feel it.

I agree with the comment about normalcy bias. It could also be referred to as "the boy who cried wolf". I've heard so many reasons to fear so-called end times for some many years now, that it would be emotionally draining to react to all of them. I feel reasonably well prepared for adversity, but I'm absolutely certain there are Black Swan events that would totally catch me off guard. Nonetheless I can only do so much. Not to sound preachy, but frequent prayer doesn't hurt.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 am

I was just trying to cut pack on my posting so Ray could finally catch up. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 pm

Ask and ye shall receive!!!!!

I just mentioned you in another thread!!!

Adam needs some zincs!!! I thought of you Chuck!!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Sorting has not been the same since TD Bank removed the Penny Arcades and the super-fast Cummins coin counters at Bangor Savings stop taking half-dollars and dollar coins.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Normalcy bias has set in for me. Lost interest. Not driven by the maybe anymore. I know I should be, but I just am not.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:01 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Normalcy bias has set in for me. Lost interest. Not driven by the maybe anymore. I know I should be, but I just am not.

uh oh. Time to take a break from the news, dude. Disaster burn-out is a real deal. This is NOT the time to let your guard down, but you also can't be a defcon 1 for years at a time. No one can. You need to find a state of slightly elevated readiness (defcon 4) from which point you can shift up to 3, 2, or 1 as needed.
68Camaro

Postby deacon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:13 am

I've been pretty busy with work and studying towards a masters. Also it is summer so it's fishing season as well. Hard to find time to sit down and talk about metals. I haven't sorted in a while because the bank charges for coins, so even that aspect is gone for me. I'm moving to another state in a few months, so maybe I'll be able to sort at least.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:19 am

Normalcy bias for me, I guess. I've heard about $50, $500, $5000 etc. silver for years and it hasn't happened. I've heard "they're getting rid of the penny" for years and it hasn't happened. I stopped obsessing over metals a long time ago. Now I just check in here every once in a while. It's also a vicious cycle. The less people are here, the less there is to read, which makes it less interesting, which makes more people leave...

I'm getting a little more interested now that silver hit $20 though. I'm starting to fantasize about high price levels and what I could sell my hoard (such as it- meager compared to others') for...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:58 pm

I am not sorting nearly as much these days. My credit union is charging to get me half dollars, so no sorting them. I have stacks of pennies in my basement that need to be sorted. I have had 3 months early this year that I was out of commission for total knee replacement. Will probably start working on the penny stack when the weather turns nasty.

It is really sad all the people who are no longer here.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals