"Lottery" money

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"Lottery" money

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:56 pm

ok... so $2000 lands in your lap and you don't need to spend it on bills. You have to spend it on some form of coin, bar, or round.

It doesn't need to be a "smart" purchase... just something you've always wanted but never picked up.

I suppose my purchase would be a blazing, high grade (MS65 or better) Standing Liberty Quarter.

What would you add to your collection?

oh, yeah... and maybe some of the ancient silver coins in good condition. Would be fun to study history of different periods and
own some of the representative coins. :)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: "Lottery" money

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm

I have always wanted a nice Massachusetts large cent. I would buy the nicest example I could find. I do have one, I found it metal detecting, it's a little beat up...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm

1 oz. gold buffalo with the balance of the $2000 going for silver bars.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby im2shakey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

The nicest mercury dime 1916d I could buy with the 2k!
im2shakey
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

I’d probably buy one of my favorite commemorative half designs. Either, Hawaiian Sesquicentennial, Oregon Trail, or San Diego, California Pacific Exposition.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Englehard bars.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Haha! My life is too transitional right now. I've been litening the load, selling rare coins from my collection, etc. I'd just buy more silver, or platinum: all the 1/10 ouncers I could.

Now if the question was more broad, what one coin would you buy if money was no option ( or at least a $10,000 cap),
Then I would get a Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter in the nicest original condition I could find/afford.

That is a coin I like, it looks pretty '!blah!' :-P in circulated, but has always been too expensive for my blood.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:53 pm

I need to read better.....I just glossed over the fact that you chose the Standing liberty Quarter!!! Haha
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:19 pm

wolvesdad wrote:I need to read better.....I just glossed over the fact that you chose the Standing liberty Quarter!!! Haha

well, heck... I'm sure they made more than one of them :lol:
beauanderos

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:21 pm

pitw wrote:Englehard bars.

Poured! :thumbup:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:26 pm

I might get a full set of the Frazetta sterling statues they have at APMEX as well. I bought "The Huntress" and it is very beautiful/cool.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I might get a full set of the Frazetta sterling statues they have at APMEX as well. I bought "The Huntress" and it is very beautiful/cool.

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
beauanderos

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

nicest Japanese 1 yen (1880-1915) coins I can find, or Chinese dollar coins 1914-1932
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Sorry about it not being a coin/round/bar. It is 6 ounces of collectible silver though, and I like well done sterling figurines.
Attachments
IMG_3304.jpg
IMG_3304.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg (47.43 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 pm

A PCGS or NGC MS65 Saint Gaudens with beautiful luster is always a nice addition to any collection :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Apologies for taking this off subject but here is the complete chess set: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic ... ta#p459844

The original digital artwork is credited to Caleb Nefzen (David Molina) of Bogota, Columbia.

More of his work here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/calebnefzen

My dream is to have a complete set put on one of these in the Library, just for show. Teak with Birds eye maple: http://hollywoodthing.com/photos/pi/2/v ... -inlay.jpg

Back on subject: And yes, a type one. I am one of those kind of guys. '17, any mint, MS.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:07 pm

pennypicker wrote:A PCGS or NGC MS65 Saint Gaudens with beautiful luster is always a nice addition to any collection :thumbup:

+1. Not sure how much MS-66 would cost, but I'd "settle" for MS-65 if I had to. Maybe I'd try to find a better date if I could to spend as close to the $2k as possible.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:29 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
pennypicker wrote:A PCGS or NGC MS65 Saint Gaudens with beautiful luster is always a nice addition to any collection :thumbup:

+1. Not sure how much MS-66 would cost, but I'd "settle" for MS-65 if I had to. Maybe I'd try to find a better date if I could to spend as close to the $2k as possible.

Common date 66's look to be bringing $2200 to $2300 on the low side on ebay and occasionally one can be had for $2000. $1750 will get you a nice 65.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bigjohn » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:35 am

Older YPS pours
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:47 am

Some good ideas here. I would buy a nice Proof Seated Liberty Half Dollar. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby silverflake » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:51 am

A B.U. trade dollar. Gosh those are beautiful. And if theres any left over, MS65 Morgan dollars. Classic.

Keep stacking, even with imaginary money.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:32 pm

beauanderos wrote:ok... so $2000 lands in your lap and you don't need to spend it on bills. You have to spend it on some form of coin, bar, or round.

It doesn't need to be a "smart" purchase... just something you've always wanted but never picked up.

I suppose my purchase would be a blazing, high grade (MS65 or better) Standing Liberty Quarter.

What would you add to your collection?

oh, yeah... and maybe some of the ancient silver coins in good condition. Would be fun to study history of different periods and
own some of the representative coins. :)

what a fun thread OB....I'm with you on the high grade SLQ, pre-1925, AND a high grade Barber dime, quarter and Half.

also 6 to 7 good condition Roman denarius, starting 200 BC to 400 AD, and if possible to show silver content in each, so that the debasement history can be shown.

also, one roll of 50 1/10th toz Au American eagles.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:02 pm

They would cost way more then 2k but Id love one of the 1792 half dimes which according to some washington melted down family silver to make. Other then that Id like the few commemorative coins I dont have, or maybe a morgan or peace dollar set.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:28 pm

I'd go with a MS 1900 Lafayette dollar and a MS 1893 Queen Isabella quarter.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Treetop wrote:They would cost way more then 2k but Id love one of the 1792 half dimes which according to some washington melted down family silver to make. Other then that Id like the few commemorative coins I dont have, or maybe a morgan or peace dollar set.

ok, gotta admit... those are pretty cool :clap: :thumbup:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1792+half+disme&qpvt=1792+half+disme&qpvt=1792+half+disme&qpvt=1792+half+disme&FORM=IGRE
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals