2016 Std Liberty Quarter Gold Coin Opens 47884 Sold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

2016 Std Liberty Quarter Gold Coin Opens 47884 Sold

Postby Country » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:18 pm

The U.S. Mint released the 2016 Standing Liberty Quarter Centennial Gold Coin yesterday at noon and we now have a first-day sales total for the item. With orders restricted by a one-coin-per-household order limit, the $485 piece logged 47,884 sales on its first day of availability — 47.8% of its 100,000-coin mintage limit.

http://mintnewsblog.com/2016/09/standing-liberty-quarter-centennial-gold-coin-first-day-sales-and-reagan-coin-and-chronicles-price-update/

http://news.coinupdate.com/2016-standing-liberty-quarter-centennial-gold-coin-opens-with-nearly-48000-sales/
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: 2016 Std Liberty Quarter Gold Coin Opens 47884 Sold

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 am

I got one but now think it was a mistake. I think the mint screwed up again. They should not have limited the amount to only one per household and they made too many! :(

Their telephone order system sucks and the website is not much better. They should contract this out to Amazon.com!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:46 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I got one but now think it was a mistake.

John, don't worry. If you wind up with the entire series, years from now there will be quite a premium built up for people who had the foresight to do so. :D
Right now? Sure... it cost a heavy premium, I bought one also but not with the intent to flip anyway. I'm not unhappy with the purchase. :)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Country » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:37 am

IMO most of these coins will be held by collectors, not dealers. These coins are beautiful collector coins that will easily go into your Standing Liberty quarter set. Certainly interest in SLQs might have some resurgence right now. What if in the future Dansco added a slot for these in their production line of Standing Liberty coin folders? If I was the production manager, I'd be thinking of doing just that!

I think dealers will be scrambling to BUY these because accumulations of these will just NOT be available to them. If demand holds (this is the big question "?" since many mint products don't fare so well in subsequent years), I would look for this coin to be the key to the set of three centennial gold coins. I would surmise that that half dollar in the set might be similarly scarce since the mint wants more collectors to obtain them directly from the US Mint.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:42 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Copper Catcher wrote:I got one but now think it was a mistake.

John, don't worry. If you wind up with the entire series, years from now there will be quite a premium built up for people who had the foresight to do so. :D
Right now? Sure... it cost a heavy premium, I bought one also but not with the intent to flip anyway. I'm not unhappy with the purchase. :)

This. I love the coin and will certainly end up with one. Premiums will likely drop short term with dealers flooding the market but once the dust settles, it will be a good long term hold.
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:04 pm

We'll see. I don't think the dealers have these in any quantity. These are going into the hands of the collectors directly from the mint.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Country wrote:We'll see. I don't think the dealers have these in any quantity. These are going into the hands of the collectors directly from the mint.

I received multiple buy offers from dealers, including Penn, offering $50 profit. I am sure dealers will end up with plenty
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Wait and see what happens when the US Mint sells the last 50000 coins. This might happen next week. If you own just one coin, will you sell it? I might at much higher premiums, but then I might not. It's different when you've got one or two then when you've got 10. Further, this design has class. Much more so than the Kennedy gold half 50 year anniversary coin.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 pm

These are cool coins, i am buying to collect.. my only thing is these are not the same size as the originals.. a little smaller i know on the SLQ.. the mint could say, hey no more interest we will cut our losses and move on with the 60000 we sold
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:59 pm

It also appears most of those coins were sold in the first six hours, with sales slowing greatly after that. By September 11, sales reached 53,378 according to unofficial figures, representing an increase of about 10% over first day sales.

For collectors, not flippers:
http://news.coinupdate.com/2016-w-standing-liberty-centennial-gold-quarter-for-collectors-not-flippers/
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 pm

I think the mint ks saying, Damn we messed up on this one
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:26 am

Got an email they lifted the household limit on these! http://catalog.usmint.gov/standing-libe ... HOL+Active

Household Order Limit Lifted!
2016 Standing Liberty Quarter
Centennial Gold Coin

WEST POINT (W)

ACT NOW We've lifted the household order limit on the 2016 Standing Liberty Quarter Centennial Gold Coin.

An event that’s been 100 years in the making–introducing the 2016 Standing Liberty Quarter Centennial Gold Coin! Beautifully struck in .9999 fine, 24-karat gold, this 2016 centennial anniversary release celebrates Hermon A. MacNeil’s original “Standing Liberty” quarter design.

Each coin contains one-quarter troy ounce of 24-karat gold, symbolic of the coin’s denomination, and has a business strike finish.

The obverse (heads) features Liberty holding a shield and olive branch as she steps through an opening in a wall bearing 13 stars. Inscriptions are “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” “AU 24K,” “1/4 oz.,” and “2016.”

The reverse (tails) depicts an eagle in flight flanked by 13 stars. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “QUARTER DOLLAR.”

Each coin is encapsulated and hand packaged in a custom-designed, black-matte hardwood presentation case and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.

In 2016, the U.S. Mint is marking the centenary anniversary of three numismatic icons with the release of the Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, and Walking Liberty Half-Dollar Centennial Gold Coins.

The Standing Liberty Quarter Centennial Gold Coin. Order your piece of American history today!
hobo finds

Postby wolvesdad » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:49 pm

So a flipper could buy 100 in one order now?

But assuming that ship has sailed. Will any big buyers do that? Probably, because surely there is still a margin on SP70's that will be worth their time/money grading them. Since, I'm guessing, relatively few have been graded.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:53 pm

79,367 as of 10/2/16 have been sold.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals