Your Opinions Please Re: Peace and Morgan$$

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Your Opinions Please Re: Peace and Morgan$$

Postby Thogey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

I'm seeing these, average to slicks selling on e-bay for $30+shipping and more.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of these premiums.

What do y'all think is a fair to good price to pay for average silver dollars?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Your Opinions Please Re: Peace and Morgan$$

Postby tbram88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:33 am

My LCS was charging 28 for circ and 29 for XF Morgans last week + sales tax.

So they are probably around 29 to 30 this week or more. I was thinking about selling some of mine too ebay seems to be bringing 30 to 35 or so.

You can always start your auction at 34.99 that way if it don't sell you only have .50 listing fee. If you start auction you run the risk of them selling for less than you want.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks thogey, you got me looking on ebay and I snatched up a buy it now at 22X face with free copper!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _500wt_905
TXBullion

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Don't buy Morgan's on ebay. You need to weigh them individually to check if they're Chinese fakes. The Chinese Morgan knock-offs are exceptionally well done. Got to weigh them.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:49 pm

silver dollars are HOT HOT HOT right now... seems that my assumptions were correct regarding premiums for these beauties. I can't keep enough in stock. Had a guy wipe me out 3 times in the last 2 weeks.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I picked up 5 Morgans today at a local auction, all 1921's. I don't know coin grading, but three are what I would call very good to fine, the other two show wear, but still have plenty of detail in the hair. Total for all 5, $140. Comes out to $28 ea., less then .50 over melt. No buyers premium. They're in clear round plastic holders. I'm confident that they are real, but I'll weigh them once I figure out the grains to troy ounce conversion.

There were 6-7 people doing most all of the bidding. One guy spent $1,700. Some were obviously looking for 90%, two were obviously coin guys and knew the collectable stuff. 90% tended to go below spot, particularly dimes. One lot of dimes 11 90% dimes went for $20, I kicked myself for not bidding. It was tough because they would bring up lots and not give very good descriptions, one of the auctioneers sons held up what he called (someone told him to call), a bag of "silver pennies", they were of course steel pennies. But everyone had a good laugh, and I think everyone went home with some silver. Also, the auctioneer caught on pretty quickly that ASE's would bring $35, but he continued to call for bids in $5 increments rather than switching to $1 increments after $35, oh well.

14 Engelhard 1oz bars went for $490, almost exactly spot, a ten oz for $350.

I also picked up three ASE's for $35 ea. One 1998 proof in the original box, and a BU 1986 and 1999. My weak moment for the day came on a Wilmington Trust Co. 1oz round, I went to $45..... Went I got home and calculated the money spent, I came out $9.38 over spot on 9 coins, all because of that stinkin' WTC round, ARGHH!

Sorry, Thogey, you did ask for an opinion.... Morgans Good! Paper Bad!
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Heartkill » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I was just in the antique mall up the road today, and several showcase dealers still have Morgans and Peace dollars for $27-28 in XF-AU conditions. Their common dates but if your stacking it doesn't really matter, does it? I cleaned one guy out last week of his 1922 Peace Dollars when they were $27.50 each and he stocked a few more at the same price. I'm probably going to kick myself if I don't go back and get more.

Delawhere Jack, 90% dimes are estate auctions best kept secrets! I always, always get them for well under melt. People tend to get stupid with Morgans and Peace dollars, and lately half dollars. I watched a few folks bid some 1964 mint and proof sets up for $45 EACH last week, and it was 12x the money as there was 12 sets. PLUS the 10% buyers premium! C'mon! Meanwhile I scored a Whitman full of Mercury dimes, 47 of them, for $60! And people looked at me like I was the oddball!
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 pm

Heartkill wrote:I was just in the antique mall up the road today, and several showcase dealers still have Morgans and Peace dollars for $27-28 in XF-AU conditions. Their common dates but if your stacking it doesn't really matter, does it? I cleaned one guy out last week of his 1922 Peace Dollars when they were $27.50 each and he stocked a few more at the same price. I'm probably going to kick myself if I don't go back and get more.

Delawhere Jack, 90% dimes are estate auctions best kept secrets! I always, always get them for well under melt. People tend to get stupid with Morgans and Peace dollars, and lately half dollars. I watched a few folks bid some 1964 mint and proof sets up for $45 EACH last week, and it was 12x the money as there was 12 sets. PLUS the 10% buyers premium! C'mon! Meanwhile I scored a Whitman full of Mercury dimes, 47 of them, for $60! And people looked at me like I was the oddball!

I saw a "roll" of 90% dimes go to $200 today. They weren't rolled, but loose in a small box. I guess some coin guys noticed something special in the mix. But yeah, generally dimes were the only bargains today. Too bad I didn't score any, but I'll be better prepared next time.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:49 pm

OK, I'll bite. Where does one find estate auctions? I've done garage sales and estate sales (usually pricey items in a house). But not sure where to look for estate auctions. The only thing I've heard is something called auction zip I think, but that's about it.

Advice is most appreciated. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:50 am

HPMBTT wrote:OK, I'll bite. Where does one find estate auctions? I've done garage sales and estate sales (usually pricey items in a house). But not sure where to look for estate auctions. The only thing I've heard is something called auction zip I think, but that's about it.

Advice is most appreciated. :)

There should be a section in the back of your local newspaper for all auctions.. they put the real estate, storage places, and antique one all in the same section.. call the paper, they usually run the ads on one certain day.. also look online and find some local weekly/monthly antique auctions.. watch them for box lots of coins..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 am

I have a nice bunch of about 40 I might be willing to part with. either all AU+ or better dates.
misteroman

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:10 pm

I never buy from Littleton, but saw an ad in my Sunday paper or another goofy flier they're selling 1889 silver dollars for $30 each (limit 3). No mention of the condition, but they pay the postage and no tax. My check is in the mail. I'll add silver to my holdings a little or a lot at at time. Doesn't matter.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:17 pm

So I have access to a fair amount (50-100 pieces) vf+ Morgans at $27.50 each.

To buy or not to buy? that is the question.

Edit: not to hijack the thread but I am curious to what people value these things at now. spot + or - what?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:So I have access to a fair amount (50-100 pieces) vf+ Morgans at $27.50 each.

Edit: not to hijack the thread but I am curious to what people value these things at now. spot + or - what?

By tomorrow morning that will be spot price.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:So I have access to a fair amount (50-100 pieces) vf+ Morgans at $27.50 each.

Price is only headed up. By Friday you'll regret having not bought them if you don't. Physical silver is disappearing. If the guy lets you cherry pick them, then let that be the deciding factor and just grab the best ones.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Ok guys.......will do.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 am

Snap up those rascals at $27.50 per. Money well spent.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 pm

well darn......I showed up with a pocket full o' money to buy those $27.50 morgans and wouldn't you know it.........the morgans had left the building.

Still managed to buy some Barbs @ $23.50 x face
and 2 Silver Wars nicks at a Buck each.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 pm

He who hesitates always gets the crumbs!

Not sure where that came from but I am sticking with it! lol
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals