The $1000 half dollar roll search

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The $1000 half dollar roll search

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The $1000 half dollar roll search

Postby Big Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Neat!! Wish I had such an opportunity.
Big Dave

Postby FatherRosado » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:31 pm

awesome!!!!!! I need to do this one day with a $500 box.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby FatherRosado » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:32 pm

awesome!!!!!! I need to do this one day with a $500 box.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Anyone worth their half dollar reputation can see that one of the boxes he opened (the one he shows halfway down the article) was full of searched and re-wrapped halves.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:50 pm

He was also painfully slow - of course it was a research project of sorts and he was looking for non-silver numi coins, but that's generally not worth the time. Should have been through both boxes in a half hour.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Changechecker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Interesting idea.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:44 pm

I had the greatest fun doing $1000 a week, did it for about two years. I had just as much fun looking at all the marked up halves from previous searchers. Sure proofs were found, yay, and the newer ones in AU condition, and I had a pretty good collection of both AU, 1976, proofs, anything else AU, polished, and the stupid political half dollars, with pictures of obama painted on them, and etc. The old british penny is the same size as a half dollar, as is the australian half dollar, and so are some bar chips. It just didn't pay for itself, or I doubt that it did, although my pickup was about three miles away and the dump was about 5 miles away. The last two boxes I searched I found 10 oz. silver in 40%. I still search penny boxes, maybe one a month just for a little fun.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:04 am

I did this a lot in the 80's and 90's and found some decent stuff. Lots of 90% and many 40%.

Today?... a complete waste of time and energy.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I was late to the game and missed out on the early days of this that so many like yourself talk about. Because the searching threads were showing some people still finding silver, I did try this myself 3-4 years ago and realized after 15-20 boxes that I was late to the game in my area and someone(s) had already skimmed them out - plenty of evidence of prior roll searching. So I ended up with mostly the same opinion as you, for a time. But...

When I mentioned this to a friend in another state, he decided to give it try despite my discouragement of him. I'm glad he didn't take my advice because in a couple of years of heavy roll searching he's picked up hundreds of silver halves, including a fair amount of 90% and including walkers and franklins. I visited him in late 2015 and searched 6-8 boxes myself with him. He was disappointed in the take relative to his norm but I wasn't! I picked up 4 64 halves and a half dozen 40%ers. It was a first (and probably last) for me, and I've saved those that I found so that I can later say that I remember the day when such a thing was possible. The take is starting to decline now in his area; he's about to give it up.

The point is that there are apparently still in the US islands of relatively unsearched banks, and you don't know for sure until you try.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Searching is enjoyable, especially when you make the rare find. :thumbup:

But ....

I find my time is spent better (compensation) if I just pick up a bit of overtime and buy silver on dips. Just me. If you like unwrapping
roll after roll, and lucky to find one 40%... :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals