Tiffany Jewelry Premium

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Tiffany Jewelry Premium

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Does Tiffany jewelry carry any type of resale premium, or is it like most jewelry, and you basically expect scrap value?

I have a friend who is toying with the idea of parting with a Tiffany necklace. My tentative advice to her was to just keep it, but that's assuming it's basically worth its scrap value (so maybe $400). Thought I better come ask the experts.

FWIW, I think it's one of these two:
http://www.tiffany.com/collections/elsa ... kgridpos=1

http://www.tiffany.com/collections/elsa ... gridpos=20

I unfortunately can't remember exactly what the pendant looked like, but I do remember it's large and heavy (probably .75" across), has diamonds, and is marked with "Tiffany & Co Elsa Peretti," "Spain" and "P.T. 950."
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Tiffany Jewelry Premium

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Tiffany is one of the few brands that should carry a premium over scrap prices. A 10-20% premium is probably about right. It all depends on the item though.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:19 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Tiffany is one of the few brands that should carry a premium over scrap prices. A 10-20% premium is probably about right. It all depends on the item though.

Thank you HighRoller.

It was bought maybe 8 years ago from a Tiffany's, so I'm doubtful it's anything special/antique. Based on a 20% premium above melt, she wouldn't even be looking at $1K on a necklace that's $11K-17K retail. In my world, that kind of sting would be enough to induce sentimentality to keep it.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:Tiffany is one of the few brands that should carry a premium over scrap prices. A 10-20% premium is probably about right. It all depends on the item though.

Thank you HighRoller.

It was bought maybe 8 years ago from a Tiffany's, so I'm doubtful it's anything special/antique. Based on a 20% premium above melt, she wouldn't even be looking at $1K on a necklace that's $11K-17K retail. In my world, that kind of sting would be enough to induce sentimentality to keep it.

In general jewelry, when bought new, has a 75-95% mark up. :shifty:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 am

Some jewelry has even a higher mark up....It is not unheard of to have triple keystone pricing. i.e. marked up 300%!
To learn more read: http://applesofgold.com/jewelryblog/201 ... etermined/
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 am

Thank you gentlemen.

I found an AMA from a former Tiffany&Co sales person. They said that employees generally get a 90%+ discount on sterling silver items. :shock: Almost made me want to pick up a part-time job around Valentines.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I would try selling it on Craigslist (if u are OK with the security issues of a big cash deal with strangers) with the original box & papers if available, you may be able to get closer to 1/3rd of retail instead of 1/10th!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Member » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 am

My wife's name is Tiffany,so I buy her it when it comes available. Let me know your price.I'm interested.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals