Bolted

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bolted

Postby amalekidad » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 pm

I’m moving soon. Not sure when or how far, depends on the sale of our current house. We have the house empty and ready to make show ready, except for my safe. Here is my question for y’all: Do I take the safe with me or do I sell it with the house :?: I have a back closet with a place (finished wall frame) special made for a big gun safe. I bought the biggest safe that would fit in there and bolted it to the foundation through the carpet.
I have to empty the thing either way. Not that I own anything that needs to be in a safe like that :shh: Getting the thing unbolted and out of the closet/house will NOT be easy. It will be heavy to move, though I will be able to lockup ‘things’ while in transport. I’m thinking that leaving it behind is the way to go. However, it is paid for . . .
Come on y’all, I’m going to do whatever I want but it would be fun to hear your opinions. Yes, Neil, even yours…
:ugeek:
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Bolted

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Leave it. It's a selling point and you ought to be able to recoup the cost by adding it into your asking price. Get moved, then decide if you want another
safe in the new place. Too much work to move it, much simpler to sell it with the house and buy another one. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Agree with beauanderos. Selling point.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 am

Agree; unless there are unusual circumstances (buyer wants it removed and you can move it yourself) it would likely be more cost effective to leave it and buy new.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 am

Yes. Beau and Camaro.

If new buyers want house, but want u remove it and will add $1000 to buy/sell price to have it out, then there's that answer. But moving it will give u lots of sadness. Don't do unless absolutely necessary.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:30 pm

If you have room and means to move it, add that cost up. Check replacement cost, did it go up in value or lose value, or are you already looking forward to a better model after you move. Check see if buyer is interested, they might want it removed for closet space, if so and don't want to move start working on selling it to recoup cost to replace. Often, if something is attached to the home it goes with the home, but I'm not sure a safe would count, ask realtor their opinion too. But, if it's literally built into the wall then I'd leave for sure.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:52 pm

is it a key lock? If not I am sure they would somehow want the lock combo # changed if that could be done.
hobo finds

Postby amalekidad » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 pm

It has a programmable electronic lock.
It's not quite built in. A place for a big gun safe was finished out (4 inch walls) and I put a safe in there. There is about 1/2 inch on each side and a couple of inches on top. The front of the safe is about 4 inches back of the outer edge of the finished area. It's bolted to the the foundation. That sucker would be extremely hard to break open. Thus, the reason I have it.
I'm feeling that the folks here on Realcent are right, I will make it a selling point. Getting it out would be pretty tough, and I even have the combination.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 pm

My understanding is that anything "attached" to the house stays with it (unless you have something in writing which says otherwise), according to several real estate agents I've spoken with over the years.

Now if your wife is really attached to the home, that might be an exception. :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 am

Leave the safe...... Just remove the stuff from inside before you leave. :shifty:

If I was looking to buy a house a safe would be a nice selling point. A place to store my snicker bars. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 am

If you decide to move it...I have moved safe's up to 1200 lbs using my liftgate on my F350.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby amalekidad » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Note to self: When the Smokin' Hot Wife say she's getting an F350 'dually'; make sure it has a lift gate!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:00 am

amalekidad wrote:Note to self: When the Smokin' Hot Wife say she's getting an F350 'dually'; make sure it has a lift gate!

Keep Wife Happy. Just Say Yes Dear ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:26 am

amalekidad wrote:I’m moving soon. Not sure when or how far, depends on the sale of our current house. We have the house empty and ready to make show ready, except for my safe. Here is my question for y’all: Do I take the safe with me or do I sell it with the house :?: I have a back closet with a place (finished wall frame) special made for a big gun safe. I bought the biggest safe that would fit in there and bolted it to the foundation through the carpet.
I have to empty the thing either way. Not that I own anything that needs to be in a safe like that :shh: Getting the thing unbolted and out of the closet/house will NOT be easy. It will be heavy to move, though I will be able to lockup ‘things’ while in transport. I’m thinking that leaving it behind is the way to go. However, it is paid for . . .
Come on y’all, I’m going to do whatever I want but it would be fun to hear your opinions. Yes, Neil, even yours…
:ugeek:

Wow...this was a God shot, I haven't been to this forum in MONTHS, and in the pre-dawn dark, outta nowhere, I decide to come visit, and I see "Yes, Neil, even yours…"....isn't that something?.....The Mystery of the I AM...(YHWH)

my opinion?...preface, I live in arguably the safest and most cohesive place in these here United States of America, so all the madness enveloping our Nation doesn't happen here...long story VERY SHORT, in early Dec, in two separate incidents I almost...lost both my boys, who are in Cali.....(God is so merciful)...but after that second late call ....FROM AN ER....within 10 minutes I was prepping to make the 5,000 mile roadtrip, just so I could hold them, hug them, and love them, loaded the war truck.....even packed me a large bore revolver, AND a lever action long rifle.....legal?....we don't need no stinking badges...point being, I haven't left my three county area with its combined population of 50,000 (that's 3 large counties) since Barry O, the little boy community organizer who could was elected Puppet in Chief.........took 40 west to the west coast...oh my...wooooo, this country has CHANGED...it feels like a boiler, without a blow off vent...I set out on 13 Dec, got back on 8 Jan, told them both, from now on, both you boys COME TO ME, coz I aint leaving this ranch...."yes Daddy"...oh, they are great young men, precious to me.

I said all that to say this: get them safes out of that house before you even show it.

no disagreement with my brothers here, who say "selling point"...I get that....but these aint normal times. What those safes say to any potential buyer is, "what's this guy GOT, that he's gotta safe up like this?"...trust NOBODY, but your inner crew and kin, those who you trust with your life( hope you got 'em, coz lone wolves die)....and second, on a practical matter, why leave a valuable asset, only to engage in the heck, hassle and cost of replacing it?....and I don't have to tell you, make that move when the sun goes down.

Get ready, things are about to happen that.........well....things are about to happen, and they wont be good. I say this to every man here.....just what I been saying for a few years, get OUT of the metro/suburban areas NOW....might even be too late, coz when you go rural, you have to fit in, and get to know folks...don't mean to be a bummer, and in closing I say this...do not give way to this wave of fear and confusion sweeping the land,,,stand steady in Faith...coz that's the way it is, WAY OUT HERE....be blessed all you good and fine men, n. (and I include our "anthem" for your listening pleasure)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

My dad bought a $750 safe and bolted it down in his workshop. When they moved to the old folks home, he told me I could have it unless the new buyer wanted it for more than he paid for it. He sold it for $1200 cash to the new guy. Sell it.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby chris6084 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Leave the safe...... Just remove the stuff from inside before you leave. :shifty:

If I was looking to buy a house a safe would be a nice selling point. A place to store my snicker bars. ;)

You shouldn't be storing snickers bars. You should be giving free snickers and pepsi to anyone you see to grow your customer base.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals