Zinc

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Zinc

Postby InfleXion » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 pm

Zinc, that stuff in the crap pennies that nobody wants... why?

Apparently the zinc supply will be the first metal to run out in the next 15 years...

http://www.silverseek.com/commentary/fu ... tals-16290

That's right, zinc, that stuff you take when you are sick to actually fight off the virus instead of treating the symptoms, like Zicam (I am not paid to endorse Zicam).

Apparently zinc is also an essential metal for the process of removing heavy metals from your body, as I learned when researching a metal detox I picked up.

I'm not saying I want any crap pennies, because those are worth the joy I get from the Coinstar machine (I am not paid to endorse Coinstar), but I'm wondering if there's a good way to stack it.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Zinc

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 am

I read the article and it actually says that because silver is a byproduct of production of gold and base metals, that in reality it would run out first.

I'm not sure I believe these numbers. First, we are trusting other countries to tell us how much they have. I have a feeling that there are other reserves that are not being mentioned in the results because many would rather understate their holdings. For instance, a small country with huge holdings might be vulnerable to attack if they told the truth about how much they really have.

And I didn't see Switzerland on the list. I imagine there might be some huge holdings in Switzerland that are not included in the official numbers, especially the gold numbers. Gold isn't used that much for industry, more so for coins, bars and jewelry. It is very hard to imagine gold running out in just 20 years. That one doesn't pass the smell test.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 am

I'm still a silverbug first and foremost, but I do like to diversify and I think the health benefits of zinc make it worth having some around for the vitamin plan, but vitamins can be expensive. I'm wondering if stacking zinc would be viable since it would almost certainly be more economical in that form.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 am

The top three metals used for corrosion resistance are all in short supply. That's the primary role of zinc, to protect steel from oxidation. (Chromium and nickel being the other two - also used to add strength and heat resistance.) As has been mentioned many times the amount of reserves is related to price, for commodities.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 am

I remember an episode of Barney Miller from the 70s or 80s, where the hot tip was, "Buy zinc". The guy bought a literal ton.

A 2000 lb bar of zinc would make good coffee table, and be very hard to steal.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Just noticed on Coinflation that Zinc pennies now have a higher melt value to face value percentage than CuNi nickels. Must have happened in the last couple of weeks.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:01 pm

bankmining wrote:Just noticed on Coinflation that Zinc pennies now have a higher melt value to face value percentage than CuNi nickels. Must have happened in the last couple of weeks.

You caught my attention with your post about zinc pennies having a higher melt value to face value percentage. Then I checked Coinflation and realized the melt value of CuNi nickels has dropped so low. I have not been following that price for a long time. I should dump the $100 box of nickels I've been saving and just hold on to a few extra boxes of 2016-D pennies instead of dumping them.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am

Strange indeed that zinc pennies are actually more valuable per weight than the nickels I've been sifting out. I don't like that they don't have any ring to them... still need to figure out where to pick up a hunk of zinc so I don't have to further complicate my sorting methods.

I wonder what they'll make the penny out of next... or maybe it will just go away.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:11 am

Pennies will just go away. US is maybe the last country using a penny type coin.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby everything » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:48 am

This old economist article from a few years back has an interesting take on why we still use the penny, what a worthless relic, just think of the loss of buying power since 1909.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/newsbook ... lled-penny
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 pm

People save pennies primarily because their parents used to do that. When I was young in the 1950s everyone had a bank of some type to save their pennies, nix and dimes. I remember lying on my bed and trying to get the coins out of my bank by inserting a butter knife into the slot. Took some work, but I usually got what I needed.

Going to take another generation or two to totally wash out the desire to save these copper-colored worthless discs. No one wants to save them, but it's so easy to toss loose change into something at the end of the day.

Now with the wide use of smart phones, digital monetary transfers, etc., this is on the track to a fast fade.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun May 14, 2017 1:21 am

back to the original article... you could easily be mislead if you don't understand what the numbers mean. "Silver Reserves" refers to the amount of economically mineable silver in the ground. To say the world is going to run out of silver in x years by dividing the production rate into the reserves total is quite misleading.

1. If the price of a metal goes up, so does the amount of economically mineable reserves. If the world is running out of cheaply mineable silver the price WILL rise and silver that mining companies already know about but don't count in reserves at a given price level will start to be counted. A deposit that is not economical at $20 oz might be a "gold mine" at $50 an ounce.

2. Better technology for mining decreases the price per ounce to get silver

3. At higher prices, silver held for investment, scrap silver etc may flow into the industrial market

4. Higher prices leads to more exploration which leads to new reserves

See http://investingnews.com/daily/resource ... y-country/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals