Magnet recommendation

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Magnet recommendation

Postby Dave 77 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 am

I was looking through some 1968 Canadian quarters and read that the easiest way to differentiate silver and nickel was with a magnet, which I somehow don't have in my possession. I was wondering what everyone else used and also looking for recommendations on which one to buy. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks
Dave 77
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Magnet recommendation

Postby Bigjohn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 am

Here is one I use a lot and really like it. It's N52 (strongest) and the size of the magnet is 18lb test

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Scrap-Magnet-Keyc ... Ciid%253A1
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 am

If you have an old hard drive you can break open, the magnets in there are very good.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 am

I've had one of these on my keys for almost 4 years. The rubber cover eventually cracked, but the magnet itself is still in good shape. Comes in handy quite often.

http://coppercave.com/copper/index.php? ... ductId=766
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 am

So you keep your keys away from your wallet and your phone I presume? These powerful magnets scare me. I[m always afraid that I am going to ruin my phone. Am I just overly paranoid?

And don't toss a handfull of canadian change in 1 pocket if you have a really strong magnet in the other pocket. Unless you don't plan on having any kids, haha.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:18 am

NHsorter wrote:So you keep your keys away from your wallet and your phone I presume? These powerful magnets scare me. I[m always afraid that I am going to ruin my phone. Am I just overly paranoid?

Smart phones shouldn't be greatly affected by magnets, except for interfering with the compass and the motion sensor. Unless you actually manage to magnetize metals bits in the phone, those are only temporary issues while the magnet is very near the phone. Flash / solid state memory isn't affected by magnets the way old magnetic storage mediums can be, and LCD screens aren't affected by magnets the way old CRT screens are.

My phone always goes in its own pocket anyway. Keys and other pocket junk are a great way to scratch the crap out of your phone screen :lol:

I lay my keys next to my wallet on my dresser sometimes and I've never had any issues with any of the ID or credit cards. The rubber cap prevents the magnet from sticking directly to anything (at least it did for the first couple of years until it cracked).

Those programmable hotel key cards are way more sensitive to magnets, keep it away from those. I remember having to go to the front desk half a dozen times during a school trip because my phone kept messing up the key card. Had to keep them at least a foot apart :?
natsb88

Postby cooyon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am

I bought a good one at an auto parts store, has a telescopic handle and a pocket clip. Auto mechanics use these to retrieve things that fall into hard to reach places in engine compartment etc. Cost was less than $10. Has a powerful pull.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 pm

I just use a rumen magnet

new of course

:thumbup: :lol:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

aloneibreak wrote:I just use a rumen magnet

new of course

:thumbup: :lol:

Where do you keep it :?: :lol:
hobo finds

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals