FOUND 913 gold Sovereigns, declared Crown property.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

FOUND 913 gold Sovereigns, declared Crown property.

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm

See: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-39655769

"There are 913 gold sovereigns and half sovereigns dating from 1847 to 1915, from the reigns of Queen Victoria, Edward VII and George V."
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: FOUND 913 gold Sovereigns, declared Crown property.

Postby Saabman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

:shock:
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Why exactly would someone report finding these coins? Evidently whoever hid them is gone and not claiming them.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

That piano tuner was just too damn honest.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

something about this story struck a chord with me. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

"I'd never come across anything like this in my whole life."

This is what happens to a treasure trove of gold Sovereigns when the finder is unaware, unexperienced and resultant ignorant. Such an unhappy ending would have never of happened to a hoarding member of Realcent.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm

OMG. Give that piano tuner 25 or even 50 of the Sovereigns to buy his silence. Once that's completed, I'd try to assemble as much as a complete date set as I could. Those leftover could be sold as needed to increase one's comfort in their waning years.

Dumb, misguided and most certainly a goof. Schedule Mr. Piano-Owner for a public flogging in the town square.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 pm

johnbrickner wrote:"I'd never come across anything like this in my whole life."

This is what happens to a treasure trove of gold Sovereigns when the finder is unaware, unexperienced and resultant ignorant. Such an unhappy ending would have never of happened to a hoarding member of Realcent.
no

And if I did no one would ever know about it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

There are 913 gold sovereigns and half sovereigns dating from 1847 to 1915, from the reigns of Queen Victoria, Edward VII and George V.

The inquest heard 50 people came forward laying claim to the hoard, but coroner John Ellery ruled their true owner remained unknown.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Make that 51. They belong to me! Obviously they did not belong to the people that donated the piano or they would have pulled the coins out first. There is a good case they belong to the school as the piano was by then a school asset. I would never cheat anyone, but in this case I can't see who is loosing or being ripped off.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I get it that finding he rightful owner would be good. But I do not get having it turned over to a museum. I like museums, but I have come to believe more and more that they are often just overgrown warehouses. An example would be the Smithsonian, 150+ million items. Only 2% ever on display. Or the museum that just recently discovered a new species of dinosaur. it was discovered in their basement after being stored there for 95 years!!!!! Can we share the wealth? Can we share the history?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals