Who knows about Ruthenium?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Who knows about Ruthenium?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:52 pm

A friend of mine was talking about Ruthenium. He said it was over $900/oz. around a decade or so ago and recently was all the way down to the low $40's. Now it is in the low to mid-$60's. He says it is easier to sell in powder form rather than bar form and that the bid/ask spread is fairly tight for something so exotic.

Questions- I've read that it is explosive, so if I leave it in a hot car in the summer, would that release toxins or potentially cause an explosion? Are there any precautions that need to be taken before storing this long-term? Also, how do you authenticate something like this that most people (perhaps including dealers) have never handled?

Any ruthenium answers, websites or expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Who knows about Ruthenium?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 am

Bumping this to see if there are any comments out there.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 am

Not that I'm ignoring the post; I just know nothing other than what anyone can look up on line for themselves. Interested in knowing more.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Robarons » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Just saw a few listings for this metal. Not sure exactly what it is trading at but it appears to be in sponge form with one listing for $200/oz 1 troy oz round

Love to invest in new metals but see 2 issues right off bad- 1. premiums are high and 2. who will buy it when I go to sell. Cant see bullion dealers wanting this. Also how do you do authenticity tests on it, just looks like another gray metal.

Rhodium is where I stop with investing in exotic metals- it is made by the bard mint and a few others and the bullion dealers will buy it back (less some harsh up front premiums and behind spot when selling). Yeah not going to matter if it goes up 1000%- and it has done this before- but metals beyond this are just too much of a hassle
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals