Help with European Silver Hallmark

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Help with European Silver Hallmark

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi,

I picked up this silver tray today at a thrift store. It has 3 hallmarks on it: a bear, a face, and a bird.

From what research that I have done, I found that the bear is likely a Swiss silver hallmark.

Does anyone know what the other hallmarks are? Is this sterling or silver plate?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20170704_195436744 (1).jpg
IMG_20170704_195436744 (1).jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Help with European Silver Hallmark

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 am

https://arveres.catawiki.hu/kavels/1151 ... th-century

An early 20th century (circa 1915) silver serving tray made by Pochon Frères & Co.

Fitted with the following hallmarks:
- Stamp maker Pochon Frères & Co
- Stamp city Bern Switzerland
- Content stamp
- Dutch tax stamp for silver objects.

The "bear" was used for silver 875‰ and higher, independent the actual fineness.

The Swiss finally recognised 925 as a single higher fineness for silver in 1933 with a duck hallmark, in the process abolishing the previous 875 and 935 grades.

Finally don't take the above as 'fact' just what I turned up. there was a heated debate on one forum regarding these marks. Especially since the 'dutch tax stamp' for imported objects should be the letter 'V' So I think the above catawicki lister is incorrect calling the 'bird mark' a Dutch tax stamp.

The 'Bern bear' hallmark was for items 'at least. .875 fine, they later introduced the 'bird hallmark' for .925 fine.

No gaurantee that any of the above is correct.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Help with European Silver Hallmark

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 am

It is impressive how much talent there is on this site!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals