Remembering Why I Sort

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Remembering Why I Sort

Postby amalekidad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 pm

My daughter was visiting this weekend and brought along my 8 year old grandson. He has autism and has challenges interacting with other people. When I asked him what he wanted to do, he replied that he wanted to sort pennies. We found an open bank (Veterans Day) and were able to by a single box. I asked if they had any halves, and we were able to get 28 rolls.
We opened the box of pennies and they were all 2017-D zincs. He talked me into opening a roll and sending it through the Ryedale. He had fun watching them rotate through and spit out into the bucket. I asked if he want to help with the halves. Six rolls later I realized that we were having quite the conversation about 90% and 40% silver vs clad. He kept asking me how the coins could be plaid. We only found 2 NIFC but that was enough for him to go running to show his mom that we found two ‘not intended for surk-you-lation coins.’
I sort because it’s fun and I can interact with my grand kids!!

Why do you sort?
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Remembering Why I Sort

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm

An 8 year old grandson who asks to sort pennies with grandpa and can carry on a nuanced conversation about half dollar composition..?

Can't exactly put a price on that.

I dropped a dime on the floor once and the cat watched it roll under the refrigerator. That's about all the interaction I ever got.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Wow- why do I sort? Interesting idea for a topic! Here is what is undoubtedly a partial list for me (and in no particular order)...

1. It can be done while I am listening to a sports broadcast or vacationing in the woods.
2. It is possible I might find something really cool or unusual or (maybe) even valuable.
3. This is in its own way a small form of prepping.
4. It is ENJOYABLE and helps to relieve stress.
5. The experience helps me be better qualified to add my own two cents worth on this site.
6. This helps me to reminisce about when I first started to collect coins as a kid and trips to see my great aunt.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby agmoose » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Sorting a box of pennies or any other denomination is a relaxing period for me. I can put on a podcast or radio station in the background and just enjoy the chore (if it can be called a chore). Finding something I haven't found before is purely a bonus, filling a hole in one of my albums an even bigger bonus.

I agree with recyclersteve on points 2-5 as well.

Amalekidad - that is awesome about your grandson. My grand daughter is only 6 weeks old, but I too look forward to the day when I can sort a few rolls of coin with her and help her fill her own albums.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals