Nadler on Gold post Japan Quake/Tsunami

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Nadler on Gold post Japan Quake/Tsunami

Postby fusscharles » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:19 pm

First up- Can't stand Nadler- Think he is a tool, but I do think his daily rag is a great read.

So Nadler brought up a good point on Friday's newsletter. He thinks that Japan will both repatriate cash and sell gold to create cash to rebuild. I agree that this might happen, but I also think that a ton of Japan's population will want to buy gold and silver as a short term safe haven- as they do not know what is going to happen to their economy.

I also opine (likin' the pompus Nadler word huh?) that there was probably gold lost to the bottom of the ocean from that storm... maybe some ships in passage or vaults close to the ocean? We will see in the coming weeks.
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Nadler on Gold post Japan Quake/Tsunami

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:27 pm

unfortunately, the people of japan are just as clueless about precious metals as the united states.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 pm

The Yen will rally tonight due to a sell-off in other Japanese assets and a domestic flight to safety there, but this may dissipate over the next few weeks and months as Japan prints Yen to pay for the damage and possibly bail out insurance companies. That is my best guess.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 pm

The Yen will fall as Japan's government will have to spend billions to rebuild. Some businesses will profit from this entire mess. Companies who make construction equipment like Catepillar. Wildcard is how much of Japan will be available to rebuild on after the nuclear fallout. Gold will fall as people move money out of Japan and into US treasuries. This will boost the dollar and drop precious metals.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby fusscharles » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Great thoughts... But people moving back into t-bills? That seems like a bit of a stretch
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Gold, silver, and Yen are all up right now as trading opens in Asia. Safety plays. Right now Japanese are running into cash and gold just like Americans did after 9/11.

Gold up $8.90, silver up 51 cents, and the Yen UP A STAGGERING 1.38% !!!! Now if I had only had the money to speculate with I could have gone long Yen with 100:1 leverage based on my prior post's call :)

6:21pm EDIT - Make that gold up $10.50 and silver up 54 cents. Eat my shorts Nadler. :P

6:23pm EDIT - Yen only up 0.59% now - Kitco quotes are slow and crappy :?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby fusscharles » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm

And.......... A decoupling from oil. Love seeing that! Now if we can just cut equities from drafing gold, i think we might see another small bull run!
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 am

Looks like my predictions are right on, it just took a day for the dust to settle.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am

The Japanese yen has been very strong with the USD/JPY reaching down to 80.72 today. This, along with asset liquidations is most likely due to repatriation.
However, this will change and the USD/JPY will work back towards 110. Poised to be one of the best long term currency plays IMVHO.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals