For Those Who Trade Gold and/or Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

For Those Who Trade Gold and/or Silver

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Here is a quote from the current issue of Barrons, which came out last Saturday...

"Adrian Ash, director of research at BullionVault...points out that over the past 50 years, silver and gold prices have gone in the same direction on 71% of all trading days and the two metals have moved in the same direction in 74% of the months since 1968." (Barrons, 3/5/18, pg. M11 "Silver Could Outshine Gold This Year")
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: For Those Who Trade Gold and/or Silver

Postby Robarons » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Yeah I would agree with that if I read it correctly. When days Gold goes up silver does too and vice versa

What would be more in depth in at what rates they go up in correlation on most trading days. I see some days gold will go up 1% and silver go up 3%. So its at what rates where the trades would make sense
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: For Those Who Trade Gold and/or Silver

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am

I've heard it said that silver often outperforms gold 2:1 or sometimes even 3:1 when they are going up, but underperforms it in similar fashion when they are both going down. Don't have any scientific evidence on that one, but it does sound credible to me. It is probably similar to comparing small cap stocks to large caps.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals