Help Me identify and get information on this coin

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Help Me identify and get information on this coin

Postby Robarons » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 am

2014 British Virgin Island PT$125 John F Kennedy Ultra High Relief coin

Heres what I do know:
-nice high relief coin in a thick NGC holder and a Pobjoy mint box
-500 coin mintage
-should be a 1 oz platinum coin

Google and ebay show like 3 examples no other detail. There are a bunch of silver ones but I noticed they only have a 10 face value- this one has a $125 face value. No details from pobjoy mint either

Anyone have a resource or book with information on this coin- hoping it is a 1 oz platinum

Thanks

Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Help Me identify and get information on this coin

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Might want to contact NGC. There are also several articles about fake fantasy coins. No idea if this is real.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bankmining » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/3 ... ight-10-oz

Only thing I could find that was not on eBay. Not sure if this is a reputably site or not - have never used it.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:58 pm

bankmining wrote:https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/303385/British-Virgin-Islands-2014-Pt125-Platinum-John-F-Kennedy--Ultra-High-Relief-NGC-Gem-Proof-Actual-Platinum-Weight-10-oz

Only thing I could find that was not on eBay. Not sure if this is a reputably site or not - have never used it.

Good find. Didn't appear in my search.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 pm

That is one butt ugly coin.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Robarons » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:54 pm

https://www.govmint.com/2014-jfk-one-ounce-platinum-ngc-gem-proof-ultra-high-relief

Found it here too. Think this coin is good because it came in silver/gold styles too. Pobjoy mint makes a crazy amount of odds coins- there are coins that can only be found in odd places or that big foreign coin book

it is ugly and just on how hard it is to prove will likely pop it out and melt it
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm

That explained a lot. 500 proofs graded by NGC. Yep the design is ugly - hard to justify doing anything with it but a bullion round.
68Camaro

Postby Robarons » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks for the help everyone
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals