Went to a local coin show today..

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Went to a local coin show today..

Postby jtlee321 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:10 pm

All in all was not too bad. Most of the dealers were out of bullion. They said they had been getting hammered and now one was selling. I did locate a roll of assorted Silver Eagles for $39.45 each. My best scores were a 1989 Proof Silver Maple for $35.00 and a 2002 Silver Britannia for $37.50. I did a little sniping in the dealers trays and scored about 15 silver dimes all in BU condition for $2.00, 3 BU silver Franklin's 2 were $12.00 and 1 was $11.00 and scored a 1940 Walker for $12.00. I also was able snag a 1911-D Barber Quarter for $5.00 and a 1926-S Standing Liberty Quarter in VG - F for $6.00. I must say though that the Britannia is absolutely stunning. I think I have found a new favorite bullion coin to start collecting.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Re: Went to a local coin show today..

Postby rainsonme » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 pm

I also attended a coin show today, in Portland Or. I did not get as good a scores as you, but if it was the same show, perhaps you just were there earlier than I, and i got what you left behind.

I paid a little under spot for various barber coins in G4, and a few standing liberty quarters a little better than G4. I got several Au war nickels under $2. And some 1918 and 1919 mercury's in good condition for spot.There were a number of silver dollars for $30, but I passed on those. I didn't spend much, but since I had planned to spend nothing due to the high price of silver, I spent more than I had bugeted. I went through many of the bargain bins, which is where i found everything I purcahsed. One of the dealers told me he "salts" his bargain bins with a few good deals, to encourage people to pick thru them, which I did.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jtlee321 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Right on. I assume it was the one at the Banquette room in Clackamas? I got there at 7:30 to do the early bird entry thing, but I beat all the dealers to the show. I think it was the whole Daylight Savings thing that threw everyone off. I did end up waiting until 10:00 and just paid general admission. I was the first in line though..
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Well, I went late, around noon, and picked through what you had left behind. Still, I had not expected to find ANYthing there that I would purchase. I had just gone to have somebody with a little experience looks at an AU 1859 penny and an old $20 bill. But, as I said earlier, I found several coins in the bargain bins. last fall I met Rosco at the fall coin show in Salem, and had a very nice time; he found a couple bargains for me.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals