Does anyone use this tactic?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does anyone use this tactic?

Postby cuneo187 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Does anyone have the bank take down their name and number and call them whenever someone turns in halves? I've been calling around a lot and one bank actually said "let me take down your info and we'll call you if someone turns anything in." I don't even have an account there! Lol. I'm thinking about trying to get my name on as many banks "lists" as possible now. I turned in $170 in clad halves at my local branch and someone there said "better call so and so, he was asking for them." I said "normally I'm trying to collect them but these are extras" and they sort of laughed.

Also I've been having good luck finding large amounts of halves with a dump bank right next door. So I can go in with $200 and take $200 worth, then immediately dump them one block down...works great if I'm low on cash. I can easily go through $1000 or more in halves if they have them with little cash on hand. Too bad I've been coming up almost empty lately. Gone through probably $5k in halves and found maybe 5 40% coins total. Not giving up though!
cuneo187

Re: Does anyone use this tactic?

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

If any tellers in the branch know anything about silver I don't see you getting much. My wife checks any halves brought into her bank whether she or another teller takes it in. Any silver is swapped out and brought home. When someone comes in asking for halves she will be happy to hand out the clad she already went thru - it's just that much less for them to unroll and bag later. Now if you you get real lucky and tellers are not sorting themselves you might have some luck.

Some here have had alot of luck with halves turned in by customers and they picked them up at the bank - sadly not me. I guess all the banks in my area have tellers who grab them so I usually stick with boxes.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:45 pm

I have one bank that wrote my number and name down and taped it up on their vault and call me anytime they get halves.

They call me every couple of months.

Sometimes skunks but sometimes some good rolls.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm

I do it as well
They call when they get silver
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals