Picked up a nice "Silver Crown" today!!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Picked up a nice "Silver Crown" today!!!

Postby pennypicker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:18 pm

My neighbor across the street who I have known for 13 years retired a year ago after a 25 year career as a Los Angeles County probation officer. Over the last year he would visit our local coin shop each week and cherry pick some real nice 90%. He came over yesterday and told me he had lost interest in this endeavor due to continually falling prices and he felt uneasy sinking any more money into it. He asked if I was interested in what he acquired thus far which was a little over $500 face and he added that the shop he had been purchasing the coins from offered a buy back at 8 x face. So I accompanied him back to his house and did a quick look through a two thirds full shoe box of shiny 90% and I offered him 10 x face and he gladly accepted saying that he had no intention of confronting the headaches associated with selling the coins on ebay or Craigslist. I brought them home and dumped them on the sofa and enjoyed examining each coin and every coin was "chunky" ranging from Very Fine to BU. None of the coins were bent; none were soiled or stained; none had any distracting scratches or rim dings; none looked to be cleaned or polished--just a super nice pile of shiny 90% and far, far better looking than what you'll get from the big online dealers. When I dumped them on the sofa they sort of created a figure resembling a large crown so I decided to tidy up the edges to really give it a "Silver Crown" look. Well that made my day other than I'm now broke for the time being but I'm glad I had the dry powder on hand when the opportunity arose. Don :wave:
The attachment P1270203.JPG is no longer available
P1270220.JPG
P1270220.JPG (102.18 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Attachments
P1270203.JPG
P1270203.JPG (117.41 KiB) Viewed 994 times
Last edited by pennypicker on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Picked up a nice "Silver Crown" today!!!

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Bully!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

NICE, You could make a little something selling those in that condition.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:04 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:NICE, You could make a little something selling those in that condition.

The dates ranged from 1949 to 1964 and the pile was loaded with BU dimes and quarters from '59 to '64--especially '64 Kennedys. The nicest coins in the bunch was a blast white AU '49d Franklin and nine gem BU 1947 s Rosies.
Last edited by pennypicker on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice buy Don. Seems like you gave him about 90% of spot give or take, so you both did very well. :thumbup:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Nice deal. 10x face is likely the same thing I'd have offered him under the circumstances. Win win.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:Nice buy Don. Seems like you gave him about 90% of spot give or take, so you both did very well. :thumbup:

Good to hear from you Nick as its been some time since we've spoke. Yes he's been a nice neighbor for over a decade and being we're both in our early 60's I felt compelled to treat him with respect and not low ball him. We both walked away happy and you can't ask for much more than that.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Total silver crown envy. ~very nice~. Sometimes it pays to treat people with the respect they deserve. Well done.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 am

Wait- is that you on the Victorville Craigslist ad that says "Genuine large silver crown for sale. 19 times face value." :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Wait- is that you on the Victorville Craigslist ad that says "Genuine large silver crown for sale. 19 times face value." :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:... Unfortunately here in gang infested Victorville if you place a valuable coin ad on Craigslist you're more likely to meet up with a person holding a gun instead of cash!
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals