Sorted 43 CWR's of pennies and found...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sorted 43 CWR's of pennies and found...

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 am

Last week I sorted 43 customer wrapped rolls of pennies from a credit union. I found three dimes and an old train token in the mix. One of the dimes was a 1959 silver dime!!

I would include pictures of the dime & token, but for some reason I can't get my hand held electric microscope to work on the computer. It has a Windows XP program, and I can't even get it to work on my old computer that has XP on it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sorted 43 CWR's of pennies and found...

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 am

I still find silver dimes in my change about once or twice a year.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:11 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I still find silver dimes in my change about once or twice a year.

It has been years and years since I found silver in loose pocket change. I bought a shot of Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey at a noisey bar and had a quarter coming back in change. The bartender dropped the quarter on the bar, and even before I looked at it I knew it was silver. I tried to hide my excitement as I talked to him. I didn't want him to take it back.

It just surprises me that you could lose a dime in a customer wrapped roll. They must have been in a super hurry!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: It just surprises me that you could lose a dime in a customer wrapped roll. They must have been in a super hurry!

The roll may have been wrapped by a merchant instead of a collector.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 am

Coin grats!

And welcome to "found silver dime in my pennies" club, which is more exclusive than "found indian head in my pennies" club.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 pm

once uoon a time there was a thread of that tune
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:53 pm

What really knocks me for a loop is the sales of silver coin rolls on eBay. Sellers say OMG. Look at this! There's a Mercury dime at the end of my roll that should contain only wheat cents. Who knows what you'll find!

It's really interesting that they have over 100 rolls that "just happen" to have a silver dime at the end of the roll.

May the sellers roast in a very warm place!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:23 pm

They'll also seed the rolls with a nice mix of wheats, it's a frill for newer collectors. It's kind of a trolling for idiots kind of thing, but it's the bay where it's easy to add perceived value to almost anything via gimicky marketing. The trick is to sell expensive enough to reap some kind of profiteering, but cheap enough so that folks won't return the junk.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals