When Au to Pd = 1:1?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

When Au to Pd = 1:1?

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:24 am

So, when is it going to happen?

Current price of Au = $1,213
Current price of Pd = $1,180
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: When Au to Pd = 1:1?

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

I have the feeling we will see it before the end of the year. Do you know what's driving the price up?
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mercuryman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Well palladium hit a high of $1206 today, its back down to $1186.
It came within $10 of golds low $1216.

Looks like we might see it happen any day now.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 am

Mercuryman wrote:I have the feeling we will see it before the end of the year. Do you know what's driving the price up?

tense relations with russia is my understanding
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 am

Reasons why I would never buy or invest in palladium or platinum:

1. They are not a monetary metals.
2. It looks too much like silver.
3. More easy to pass counterfeits because it's properties are unfamiliar to most coin collectors.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 pm

I agree with Hoarder about the buyer confusion when purchasing palladium via eBay, word of mouth, media ads, etc. One only needs to take a few minutes on eBay to see the counterfeit gold bars/coins as well as key-date silver dollars, etc., that are openly sold for a few bucks by Chinese dealers.

If there's already so many people who fall for counterfeit KNOWN precious metals, just imagine what the once little known Palladium will do. As one of the self-appointed "wise old owls" of RC, I say be very cautious. All mistakes are painful, but those above $1000 usually never heal.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Well folks it happened.
Palladium is 1249 ask
Gold is 1242 ask

I think we will continue to see palladium climb for a while. It's very interesting. Perhaps the uncertainty of Russian sanctions and South Africa. There are conflicting statements but some articles say 3/4 of the worlds production is from Russia and SA alone.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:49 pm

I don't think ask is the right metric. I think sell is and I don't see that they've crossed on the sell charts yet. They are close - but still about $10 apart.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:I don't think ask is the right metric. I think sell is and I don't see that they've crossed on the sell charts yet. They are close - but still about $10 apart.

Where are you finding the sell info? I'm just checking the markets bids/ask.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

I just look at kitco

Edit : and I interpret the kitco bid price as a sale.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Ah okay I understand now.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 am

It did happen earlier this morning, Pd popped to 1240 while Au was 1235, but Pd dropped back to 1234 as I type this.
68Camaro

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

68Camaro wrote:It did happen earlier this morning, Pd popped to 1240 while Au was 1235, but Pd dropped back to 1234 as I type this.

Yep... today is the day. Now what? 8-)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am

For those with Pd, enjoy!? :)

I've always been surprised it wasn't priced higher than Au anyway so it seems like it has taken a more reasonable pricing. What still surprises me is Pt. It's insanely cheap by historical valuations. Will it also recover? Dunno.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals