Silver Vending Machine

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Vending Machine

Postby bankmining » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:39 pm

18E65A8B-18F0-49E3-B836-F42571B3179D.jpeg
18E65A8B-18F0-49E3-B836-F42571B3179D.jpeg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
No, I didn’t put fiat in to see what would come out :lol:
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Silver Vending Machine

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:53 am

I would of had to see....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 am

1/4 oz rounds, or smaller? Can't be too big or the incremental price of $5 per unit wouldn't make sense.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby bankmining » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:21 am

NotABigDeal wrote:I would of had to see....

Deal

Posted this over at BS and the guys over there said the same thing. Told them I'd go ahead and sacrifice a twenty and see what comes out :lol: . I go by the area once or twice a month, so I'll report back what I got.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:07 am

Is that machine bolted down? I am curious to see what $20 will buy.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:03 am

I'm thinking these could be very small bars like grams. And a gram of silver is worth something like 50 cents. Which would explain why you get so much more for $25 than you do for $15. Also, don't know what city the machine is in, but could it be a machine loaded with counterfeit coins?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:21 am

Very odd to see something like this at a depressed $15 silver price. I'd expect to see this if silver was above $50 or higher.

At least it is getting sheeple to think about what real money is.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:31 am

bankmining wrote:
Deal

Posted this over at BS and the guys over there said the same thing. Told them I'd go ahead and sacrifice a twenty and see what comes out :lol: . I go by the area once or twice a month, so I'll report back what I got.

Where is this located?... a mall? What city?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
bankmining wrote:
Deal

Where is this located?... a mall? What city?

A mall near Tacoma, WA. I image googled "silver bullion vending machine" and found the same machine in what looked like other mall locations, but not sure if its just this area or nationwide. I'll post what I got when I try it in the next week or two.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 pm

If the machine doesn't tell you specifically what you are getting, expect it to be something lousy.

It's just like when employers say that the employee of the month or salesman of the month has a chance to win a "special prize". When they don't say what the prize is, it is almost always something trivial like a plaque or set of steak knives or mention in the company newsletter.

I fully expect that someone will put a nasty note beside the machine saying how they got ripped off. Or perhaps even vandalize the machine.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby bankmining » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm

So I went back there today. First off, I got that photo from a google image search. The one at my mall is identical except for the pricing is slightly different. There were just two options: 1 for $15 and 2 for $25. I decided just to get one and got a 1/2 oz generic round. It dropped out without any capsule or packaging. So, yes it was a bad deal as far as bullion value goes, but not as scam-ish as I thought it would be (like a 1 gram bar). Hopefully not a Chinese fake, it passes the ring test and weighs ok. Also curious if any one has seen this round before or knows the manufacturer.
Attachments
050DE739-F8AE-407C-9CAA-E58B85E504B5.jpeg
050DE739-F8AE-407C-9CAA-E58B85E504B5.jpeg (301.5 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
10DAC40B-E00F-49F4-B409-70CD7A7F5FD0.jpeg
10DAC40B-E00F-49F4-B409-70CD7A7F5FD0.jpeg (279.31 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bankmining » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Someone over at BS figured out that this round came from Apmex.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:55 pm

I got a kick out or recyclersteve's reply. This machine is a great gimmick, look at the profit potential! I still would not trust the purity of that round either.
Act mature, invest, and save, that's hilarious!

You might think having gold and silver machines that had a digital readout, offered different size bars or rounds, or at least tell them what they are getting, and were adjustable for spot prices, while playing fair to the customer with certified rounds, it might have some potential for moving a sizable product quantity. Marketing matters.

I look at the vending machines at work, how much they charge for a soda these days, and think wow that's a heck of a racket.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:22 pm

everything wrote:I got a kick out or recyclersteve's reply. This machine is a great gimmick, look at the profit potential! I still would not trust the purity of that round either.
Act mature, invest, and save, that's hilarious!

You might think having gold and silver machines that had a digital readout, offered different size bars or rounds, or at least tell them what they are getting, and were adjustable for spot prices, while playing fair to the customer with certified rounds, it might have some potential for moving a sizable product quantity. Marketing matters.

I look at the vending machines at work, how much they charge for a soda these days, and think wow that's a heck of a racket.

For any type of vending machine you have to consider the initial cost of the machine, maintenance/repair costs, electricity cost, the labor cost of checking on and restocking the machine, and the location cost. In a mall environment, you are typically renting a space at a monthly rate, plus paying a percentage of gross sales (that in itself may well be a larger percentage than what bullion stackers are accustomed to paying over spot from major bullion dealers). Then you have general overhead expenses. The vehicle and mileage for visiting the machines, general liability insurance, state fees for the business entity, the cost of filing taxes... In the case of food/beverage machines with national branding, the operator may be paying some kind of franchise fee or commission as well.

I seriously doubt this silver vending machine is getting its owner rich.
natsb88

Postby everything » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 pm

I agree, one vending machine is not enough to get ahead with. It would have to be franchised, and nobody is going to put a machine full of gold just anywhere. But, apparently in China they do have gold vending machines in their malls, America .. we are not savers, China, yes, putting away 35% or so of your income, yeah they've got the demand, whereas here no. Also, the American mall, do you think they want you to come in and drop your disposable income into a gold machine, no they want you to buy cheap Chinese goods.
https://pursuitist.com/gold-vending-machine-china/
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Now watch- some day we'll see a copper vending machine. On the front will be quotes from so-called experts touting how valuable copper will be in the near future. And there could even be a quote from somebody on the machine saying that some day copper could be more valuable than gold! :)

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 am

That's quite a hefty premium for a half ounce silver round. For that premium, I'd rather have VF/EF Morgan's or Peace dollars.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:That's quite a hefty premium for a half ounce silver round. For that premium, I'd rather have VF/EF Morgan's or Peace dollars.

I think we all agree on that. I didn’t put 15 bucks in to add to my stack. I did it out of curiosity. It’s a novelty thing. Kind of like when you go to the fair and throw away 10 bucks so your kid can win a goldfish in a tiny bowl that we all know isn’t worth it, especially after you have to haul the damn thing all the way home. :lol:
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:42 am

bankmining wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:That's quite a hefty premium for a half ounce silver round. For that premium, I'd rather have VF/EF Morgan's or Peace dollars.

I think we all agree on that. I didn’t put 15 bucks in to add to my stack. I did it out of curiosity. It’s a novelty thing. Kind of like when you go to the fair and throw away 10 bucks so your kid can win a goldfish in a tiny bowl that we all know isn’t worth it, especially after you have to haul the damn thing all the way home. :lol:

I realize you bought it out of curiosity. Thanks for posting it here.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals