A First For Me- Buying Silver from a Homeless Guy

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A First For Me- Buying Silver from a Homeless Guy

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:53 am

I was at a local grocery store yesterday and went over to the Coinstar machine as I often do. There was a very raggedy looking guy probably in his mid-to-late-40's dumping some coins into the machine. I asked if he had any that the machine wouldn't accept, figuring I'd just buy them from him. He did pull out a 1943 Walking Liberty half dollar and said he knew it was worth much more than 50 cents. Initially he asked for $10 for it. I said it wasn't worth $10. He did say that a local dealer offered him $5 for it. Since he was about 5 miles away from that dealer, I told him I'd just give him $5 for it on the spot to save him the trip. He appreciated not having to travel the 5 miles.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A First For Me- Buying Silver from a Homeless Guy

Postby Mercuryman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 am

Nice way to snag some quick silver and help somebody out. I'm still waiting to find my first coinstar silver.... I've been looking on a daily basis for years!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 am

I've gotten a number of silver dimes from CS machines, but for some reason it is really hard to get silver quarters. Maybe it is because they are bigger and that much easier to see in the rejection chute.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 am

Far less silver quarters in circulation to get rejected.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:33 am

Dude I really appreciate you taking that half off my hands.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm

How do you know he was homeless? Did he tell you?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

My last dumping machine find was an iceland 10 KR I'm thinking about (for fun), gathering up all the foreign coin I can find and run it through this thing.
https://foreigncurrencyandcoin.com/curr ... ronur.html
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:06 am

Thogey wrote:Dude I really appreciate you taking that half off my hands.

Thogey, if that was you, you REALLY need to take a shower and see a dentist...

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:09 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:How do you know he was homeless? Did he tell you?
Can't say with absolute certainty, but the guy looked like he'd worn the same clothes for a very long time and like he'd been sleeping outside.

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:How do you know he was homeless? Did he tell you?
Can't say with absolute certainty, but the guy looked like he'd worn the same clothes for a very long time and like he'd been sleeping outside.

I used to know a guy when I lived in San Diego who held a sign at a corner traffic light everyday... strategically changing his position for morning and afternoon rush hour. He was not homeless, but he did his best to look that way. He collected $100-200 a day, tax free. Double that amount during Thanksgiving and Christmas. He's probably standing out there as I type this.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 am

everything wrote:My last dumping machine find was an iceland 10 KR I'm thinking about (for fun), gathering up all the foreign coin I can find and run it through this thing.
https://foreigncurrencyandcoin.com/curr ... ronur.html

No need to use an outside machine. You should be able to get a very good price from established members of this site who regularly buy foreign coins in bulk here. There are regular messages posted with the then current prices paid.

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals