Palladium and Rhodium Spot Prices

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Palladium and Rhodium Spot Prices

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 pm

I've been watching the price of Palladium soar above gold during the past few months, but I checked the price of Rhodium today and was surprised. The later has increased in value by 25% during the past month.

I don't normally pay much attention to either metal as they have minimal impact on my business.

Supposedly the recent increase is due to the automotive catalyst markets, but with gains of this magnitude, I suspect that investor speculation is the major factor.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on what is happening to the market for these two metals?
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Palladium and Rhodium Spot Prices

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm

I'll just observe the fairly obvious that rhodium has been far higher in the recent past. The three way catalytic converter uses Rh Pd and Pt - all three metals - and the first two are the rarest. Why high now? I don't know. Maybe the question should be why were they lower for a while.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:41 pm

For me, if they're not monetary metals, I don't pay attention to them. My LCS doesn't deal in palladium or rhodium.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Palladium has been monetized at least in the sense of gold and silver and platinum by government coin issue with a default face value. There is a long list of palladium coins and they do get some trading action.

Not saying there has never been a rhodium coin but I've never heard of one so even though it has jewelry usage rhodium is clearly not monetized.

Edit for further research:

I've seen suggestions that this was supposedly the first Rhodium coin from Tuvalu, new for 2018...

https://online.kitco.com/buy/31034/1-oz ... -999-31034

However Cook Islands issued some Rhodium coins during 2014-2017

https://www.bellevuerarecoins.com/the-m ... ium-coins/
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:04 pm

68Camaro wrote:Palladium has been monetized at least in the sense of gold and silver and platinum by government coin issue with a default face value. There is a long list of palladium coins and they do get some trading action.

Not saying there has never been a rhodium coin but I've never heard of one so even though it has jewelry usage rhodium is clearly not monetized.

Edit for further research:

I've seen suggestions that this was supposedly the first Rhodium coin from Tuvalu, new for 2018...

https://online.kitco.com/buy/31034/1-oz ... -999-31034

However Cook Islands issued some Rhodium coins during 2014-2017

https://www.bellevuerarecoins.com/the-m ... ium-coins/

Interesting info, but I'll stick with traditional monetary PM's. The majority of people are going to know what old Ag/Au coins are and what they look like. Many (including me) would not be able to instantly recognize platinum or palladium. Selling them could be an issue because of their unfamiliarity. My LCS guy had a palladium coin that he was trying to sell for a year, no takers.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Can always send to the smelter but yeah - they won't be the obvious choice for a lot of folks. Definitely the "lunatic fringe" of the PM world. But I'm one of them.
68Camaro

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:47 pm

I think I might own a little bit of palladium in coin form. Not all my coins are a precious metal play.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 am

If you want to get even more obscure than palladium and rhodium, take a look at ruthenium. Ruthenium was around $50ish in early 2017 and a LCS here was talking about it. Two of the guys in the shop both took positions around that time. Now it is around $266/oz. It was $875ish ca. 2007 so some would say it still has a good ways to rally. I don't own any ruthenium and feel it would be VERY HARD to sell without taking a bath on the price.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Thank you for your input, everyone. I figured I'd bring the subject up as it's rarely discussed here. Kitco had a couple of articles this week predicting Palladium could hit $2,000 this year. The current Pt/Au/Pd ratios are unprecedented. Looking at historical prices, Pt looks like the best buy of the 3 metals.

68Camaro wrote:I'll just observe the fairly obvious that rhodium has been far higher in the recent past.

Yes, and from what I've read that major Rhodium price jump was mainly the result of the actions of one large catalyst buyer for the major automotive companies.

68Camaro wrote:Not saying there has never been a rhodium coin but I've never heard of one so even though it has jewelry usage rhodium is clearly not monetized.

Check out this past Realcent post about Rhodium: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39599 I think the Cohen Mint was the first to make a Rhodium coin It's a difficult metal to make bullion coins out of because of its physical properties.

Recyclersteve wrote:If you want to get even more obscure than palladium and rhodium, take a look at ruthenium. Ruthenium was around $50ish in early 2017 and a LCS here was talking about it. Two of the guys in the shop both took positions around that time. Now it is around $266/oz. It was $875ish ca. 2007 so some would say it still has a good ways to rally. I don't own any ruthenium and feel it would be VERY HARD to sell without taking a bath on the price.

Wow, thanks for the tip. I wonder if there's a Ruthenium ETF? :P
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:59 am

I know you were just kidding, but an actual ruthenium ETF would scare the hell out of me. No thanks.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 am

Avalanches always start from the top of the mountain, not the bottom.

You gotta be crazy investing in palladium and rhodium at these levels.

SILVER is where you wanna be... so load up the truck and move to Beverleeee.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:13 pm

One big advantage of silver vs. platinum, palladium and rhodium is the liquidity you would have when trying to sell. Sure, just about everyone knows that, but think about it this way. Platinum, palladium and rhodium are hard enough to sell at record high prices when they get a fair amount of attention. Think about how much harder they would be to sell when the price is in the doldrums and hasn't done much for years. I can think of plenty of coin shops where the dealers just wouldn't touch the stuff (cause they don't want to sit on it for a long time or because they are worried about buying something counterfeit). Anyone who accumulated more than just a few ounces would have a monumental chore on their hands when trying to liquidate for a fair price. I don't see this changing anytime soon. Has anyone here seen anyone liquidate, say, 20 ounces or more at a single time? I haven't. And that is less than 2 pounds!

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:14 pm

I'll repeat myself... smelter.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:47 pm

It is hard to imagine taking really exotic stuff like palladium and rhodium to a smelter and getting a decent price. I can't say for sure, but it just seems like you'd take a bath on the price you would realize.

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Rather than speculate, I checked a couple of smelters. For .999 gold the price at one was published and is about 94% of spot.

For Pt and Pd, I put in a price request; we'll see if I get a response.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 pm

The one place I've checked is buying Pd at 92.5% of spot.
68Camaro

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:It is hard to imagine taking really exotic stuff like palladium and rhodium to a smelter and getting a decent price. I can't say for sure, but it just seems like you'd take a bath on the price you would realize.

Typical refinery payouts for platinum group metals are around 70-90% depending on the amount of material, composition, and percentage of precious metals contained.

68Camaro wrote:The one place I've checked is buying Pd at 92.5% of spot.

That's a really good payout for Pd. What purity do they require the incoming material to be?
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:41 pm

I only asked about .999 bullion/ coin
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Avalanches always start from the top of the mountain, not the bottom.

You gotta be crazy investing in palladium and rhodium at these levels.

SILVER is where you wanna be... so load up the truck and move to Beverleeee.

Ouch!

https://i1.wp.com/nftrh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/palladium2.png?ssl=1
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Big drop, yep. It's a small market and fluctuates. Only a problem if you bought high and need to sell. Buy low. :)
68Camaro

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Crazy drop. Talk about a speculation bubble! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything? :P

I sold most of mine last week for $1578/toz. I almost could not have timed it better.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am

Dr. Cadmium wrote:Crazy drop. Talk about a speculation bubble! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything? :P

I sold most of mine last week for $1578/toz. I almost could not have timed it better.

Yeah, sure you did... you nailed the top. :roll:

You know there were lots of greedy dum-dums that bought at those nose-bleed levels... just people did with blipcoins at 19K.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm

I was marginally excited when I looked at palladium recently, but I don't have very much, and I've taken more of a hit on platinum which I thought was more likely to have supply constraints a while back due to most of it coming from a single source often in contrast to US interests (Russia). I still need to procure some iridium, gallium (melts in your hand, kinda cool), and rhodium, but that''s not high on my list. Silver is still the hot buy unless you run out of storage space. I'm in it for the long haul, so whatever the price is when I'm ready to retire is what I'll sell it for, but since my tangible position is highly diversified I may sell other things first and gift any losing positions to loved ones.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Look at what Palladium and Rhodium prices did this week. It makes our educated guesses from 10 months ago look foolish. Too bad I don't still have mine!

On the other hand, I'm glad I don't still have it. At this point holding a commodity like that is too anxiety-inducing.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:52 am

Still have mine, but it is Pt that I consider closer to best value so bought a bit more this past couple of weeks. From some brief discussions at the FUN show it looks like smelter prices at a percent of spot is the practical price for Pd bullion right now. Had a dealer offer me a raw Pd Eagle for $1850 rather than 2100, which is 88% of spot. I passed. There may still be more to go for Pd but I'm not a buyer at these prices.
68Camaro

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals