Silver Quarter in Change

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Quarter in Change

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 am

It’s been quite a few years since I found a silver quarter in the wild, but yesterday I got a worn 1944 in change along with a 2009 Canadian quarter. I went back and got $3 bucks more but no luck. Sent two kids in to make a purchase and get the max quarters back—still no luck. Maybe time to start roll searching again?
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Silver Quarter in Change

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:51 am

Finding a silver quarter in rolls is super rare. Dimes are a better bet, but even then super rare. Fun find though.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby CopperSilverGold » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 pm

I can't remember the last time I found a silver coin of any kind in change. Congrats!
CopperSilverGold

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 am

Very nice. Quarters are the hardest to find.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby smackvay » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 pm

My only 90% in the wild was in change from a biscuit that I got in town
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 03, 2019 2:27 am

I agree that silver quarters are the hardest to find.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 pm

A 90 year old grandma must've cashed in her old change jar. Finding 90% quarters today is very rare.

I haven't found a silver quarter in my change since 2004. Came out of an old diner cash register in So Cal I used to frequent when I lived there. Lots of older customers.

I found a dime about 3 years ago in my supermarket change... a 1949 Rosy.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 am

The last time I found a silver coin in change was back in 2007 in Albany, Oregon when I purchased a can coke with a dollar bill from a vending machine and received a silver quarter in change. It was such a rare event that to this day I remember exactly where I was when it happened--sort of like when President Kennedy was shot.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Got a silver 1964D quarter from a laundromat change machine last month. Was hoping to get a "W" quarter, but happier with the silver. Also found a lonely 1962D dime in a Walmart coinstar. Better luck with coinstars than metal detecting, as I have yet to find silver in the ground.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals