A newb asking where pre-1965 coins went.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A newb asking where pre-1965 coins went.

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm

For as long as I can remember, the only coins that I find in circulation that are older than 1965 are pennies.

For the other coins, was there some mass hoarding of coins older than 1965?? I know quite a few were silver, but not all. Sorry in advance for my naiveté.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: A newb asking where pre-1965 coins went.

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Silver is basically the answer. Dimes, quarters and halves all had 90% silver til 1964. Halves were an exception as those from 1965 through 1970 had 40% silver and are definitely worth saving. 1970's were only made in collector mint sets, so you likely won't see any in circulation.

For nickels, there is lots of debate as to the years worth saving. Some say pre 1960. Others say 1964 and before, perhaps because that is the date where they would be also saving dimes and quarters. But they made a LOT of coins in 1964 as there was a coin shortage then (Google "U.S. coin shortage" for some neat articles if you like), so I don't save any 1964 nickels. Other than the war nickels (some of the 1942's plus all from 1943-1945), which had 35% silver, saving nickels is something where you will get strong opinions both ways (worth saving and not worth saving).

Personally, I save copper pennies (all up to 1981 and about 2/3 of the 1982's minted), pre-1960 nickels (only because I can sell them quickly to a local guy for 7 cents- but I don't spend a lot of time looking for them), all 90% and 40% silver coins. Also, I do save war nickels. I save Ike dollars only only flip them for a very modest profit, but don't go out of my way looking for them.

That is pretty much it for me, except that I do save Canadian .999 (99.9%) nickels. These were pure nickel until 1981 (with the exception of some years in the 1940's and 1950's), whereas our nickels are only 25% nickel and 75% copper. Also, there are some other countries where pure nickel coins were made (France, Netherlands and a few others). It would probably be easier for someone starting out to just stick with Canada .999 nickels, which are easier to locate.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks!

I figured there was definitely something going on there!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 am

They're in my safe.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am

I would love it if, in the spirit of honest advertising, banks were forced to start calling them "semi safes". They are not nearly as "safe" as many people think. I remember some promos where banks would say that if you opened an account with a certain minimum amount they would let you have so-called "free" use of a safety deposit box. No thank you!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I would love it if, in the spirit of honest advertising, banks were forced to start calling them "semi safes". They are not nearly as "safe" as many people think. I remember some promos where banks would say that if you opened an account with a certain minimum amount they would let you have so-called "free" use of a safety deposit box. No thank you!

The previous poster was referring to a personal safe, not a bank safety deposit box.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right- now that I look at it a bit more closely.

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 am

68Camaro wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I would love it if, in the spirit of honest advertising, banks were forced to start calling them "semi safes". They are not nearly as "safe" as many people think. I remember some promos where banks would say that if you opened an account with a certain minimum amount they would let you have so-called "free" use of a safety deposit box. No thank you!

The previous poster was referring to a personal safe, not a bank safety deposit box.

Damn straight. Would never fit it there either.

$18.00 just printed :thumbup: ... and we're just getting started!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Hey gang!!!!
$18 WAS the overhead resistance.....bye bye...…..next stop, $51 ( in paper money....FRN's....PU!!!!)……………...then the psychological barrier of $100.....the hunt brother high is around $145......but the problem is this, you aint gonna get my silver by flashing frn's at me...….here's what i'm thinking...…….I'll sell 15 silver toz for one gold toz….or if you got an angus hindquarter, i'll give you 4 silver toz…..I got vodka akihol and loose tobacco for sale...….got .22 mini mags for sale......and guess what? I survived yet another severe heart attack on 6 May.....recovering GOOD....bless God, He wants me down here a while more...….God love you ALL my RC friends...….know what I been buying for the last two years?...……$100 FV lots of proof cello wrapped 90's and 100 toz lots of Canuck Maples, 4 rolls......plus a lot of Augason farm buckets...….and since I don't drink OR smoke, alkihol and loose tobacco, generic cigs for trade......bad news is...….(and pray for peace)….BUT, war is right around the corner.....probably some nuke dets too...….even in the 20 kt range, it''ll be bad...….but silver lining is that people will be reaching for God's hand...….again, much love, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Neil! I was just thinking about you and wondering where you have been. Welcome back and I sure am glad you survived the heart attack! Looking forward to some more posts from you on RC.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Neil! I was just thinking about you and wondering where you have been. Welcome back and I sure am glad you survived the heart attack! Looking forward to some more posts from you on RC.

Thanks Tex! for you:

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 pm

Neil,
I have also enjoyed your posts in the past and glad to see you back and kicking. Stay well and Godspeed.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals