a sad story

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

a sad story

Postby dakota1955 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 pm

I when to my bank today to see if they would order me some halves. The manager said that his boss said no because people were getting halves sorting them and taking them back to the bank where they came from. He did say that over Christmas he can order some and he will get me a few boxes. Now the sad part. He said that last week a person came and wanted to cash in about $800 in silver halves that were her grandfather. He said that the bank could only give her face and that they are worth a lot more than face but she didn't want the hassle of going someplace else. I know for a fact of at least two coin shops in that town. She cashed them in anyway. He split them with the tellers and himself. A sad story of today kids.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: a sad story

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:39 am

If I was the bank employee I would have pushed back harder and said to the person that they could drive just a few miles for thousands of dollars. I would have even offered to look up names and addresses for the local coin dealers. Who wouldn't be willing to drive just a few miles for that? I know you get blizzards in North Dakota, but I would assume you didn't have one when this person stopped at the bank. Not in early October anyway.

On the other hand, the person could have looked fine but perhaps they knew they wouldn't live much longer, had no heirs, and thought of this gesture as "paying it forward" to someone else who would see fit to continue with another kind gesture to another stranger.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 am

Winter storm is coming tomorrow
dakota1955

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am

Its possible that the silver halves were stolen and going to a coin store would involve giving I.D.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm

TXSTARFIRE - that is quite possible. Still a sad story either way.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Makes one wonder how often this scenario is replayed throughout the US in large and small towns. Sad.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:11 am

Know Common Cents wrote:Makes one wonder how often this scenario is replayed throughout the US in large and small towns. Sad.

I've been in my LCS and witnessed totally aloof people bringing in silver coins to sell. Even ignorant people know those "old coins" are worth more than today's clad coins. Why would they simply cash them in at a bank?... because it's too much trouble to try and sell them?... I'm not buying that. Makes me believe those coins were stolen.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Know Common Cents wrote:Makes one wonder how often this scenario is replayed throughout the US in large and small towns. Sad.

I've been in my LCS and witnessed totally aloof people bringing in silver coins to sell. Even ignorant people know those "old coins" are worth more than today's clad coins. Why would they simply cash them in at a bank?... because it's too much trouble to try and sell them?... I'm not buying that. Makes me believe those coins were stolen.

I believe it. People are more than happy to give me stuff just so they can have a clean shelf so why not silver which they know nothing about.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals