US Mint to redesign gold and silver Eagles

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

US Mint to redesign gold and silver Eagles

Postby pmbug » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am

The U.S. Mint is moving ahead with plans to redesign the reverses of the silver and gold American Eagles for 2021 to accommodate the use of anti-counterfeiting technology at the production stage.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has given the Mint the green light to replace the designs, which have appeared on the coins since their release in 1986.

“We are planning a redesign of the American Eagle Silver and Gold coins in honor of the 35th anniversary of the American Eagle program. The details of this redesign will be announced in the near future. There is currently no plan to redesign the American Eagle platinum or palladium coins,” said Todd Martin, acting chief for the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications.

The redesigned reverses will be introduced first on bullion releases dated 2021. The anti-counterfeiting measures will be introduced later on the Proof and other collector versions.

More: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/u-s-mint-to-redesign-gold-and-silver-american-eagles-implement-security-devices

Chinese counterfeits are becoming a real problem. I'm glad to see the US Mint following the Royal Canadian Mint's footsteps.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Re: US Mint to redesign gold and silver Eagles

Postby Tourney64 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 am

Any time there is a change it provides more opportunity for error coins worth big bucks. Get your coins early in 2021.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:22 am

As much as I love the design of the Walking Liberty half dollar and its obverse on the silver eagle, 34 years is enough. It's time to resurrect the iconic design of the Standing Liberty quarter and place its obverse AND reverse on the 2020 silver eagle. It's a new decade and it's time for a completely new and invigorating look!
1925-Standing-Liberty-Quarter.jpg
1925-Standing-Liberty-Quarter.jpg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 am

Although the details of that design didn't hold up well in a circulating coin I think it would be a great starting point for a new non circulating bullion series. I liked both sides and especially the reverse eagle.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:16 pm

I wonder (when this happens) if the older silver and gold eagles will sell at a discount to the newer ones with the anti-counterfeiting technology.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby agmoose » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I wonder (when this happens) if the older silver and gold eagles will sell at a discount to the newer ones with the anti-counterfeiting technology.

Interesting question. I suppose it is possible that they would.

I 2nd the vote for moving to the SLQ design for the next series - my fav coin design of all time.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I wonder (when this happens) if the older silver and gold eagles will sell at a discount to the newer ones with the anti-counterfeiting technology.

I sold 2 gold 1oz CML's (1980's) to buy my mother new hearing aids. There was no discount in selling price compared to new ones. My LCS guy checks all coins with his Sigma Analytics verifier before buying them. I've noticed that most LCS now have those.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm

pennypicker wrote:As much as I love the design of the Walking Liberty half dollar and its obverse on the silver eagle, 34 years is enough. It's time to resurrect the iconic design of the Standing Liberty quarter and place its obverse AND reverse on the 2020 silver eagle. It's a new decade and it's time for a completely new and invigorating look!
1925-Standing-Liberty-Quarter.jpg

Totally agree... beautiful coin, especially that eagle.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 am

Better late than never, I would never buy them because of premium and risk.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals