1957 dime, No "ring"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1957 dime, No "ring"

Postby Morsecode » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Just got a silver dime in change at the diner this morning, and it's got me stumped. No matter what surface I drop it on I get no ring tone. Dull as a zinc cent it is.

Perhaps it is one of those fake Alibaba 1957 Roosevelts. :roll:
Attachments
Collage 2019-12-07 13_53_36.jpg
Collage 2019-12-07 13_53_36.jpg (474.7 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1957 dime, No "ring"

Postby Morsecode » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:14 pm

(Don't know why these pics are coming out so huge lately)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:23 pm

What does it weigh?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:52 pm

That's what happens when you amalgamate a dime,
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm impressed with you getting it to stand on edge for a photo.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:12 pm

No scale here, so I can't get the weight.

Amalgamated...hmmm, but wouldn't it look super shiny or show some trace of that? Appearance-wise it looks like any other '50s dime.

For my next trick I will attempt to balance my checkbook.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:16 pm

It looks slick and shiny then over time it looks like galvanized steel. Like yours.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby InfleXion » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm

I can't help but be reminded of a post Nate did years ago on BS about China mass producing fake 90% that was sandblasted to look older. Wonder if he's still running his site about identifying fakes, can't remember the URL. This dime looks a lot like I recall, because the edges are still crisp which doesn't jive with how old the face looks. If it was worn by thumbs, it would be smooth all around.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:00 am

FakeBullion.com
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:12 am

Thogey wrote:It looks slick and shiny then over time it looks like galvanized steel. Like yours.

So how is this done and to what end? Is it just for kicks or is there a profit to be made? Are they amalgamated in large batches?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 am

Morsecode wrote:
Thogey wrote:It looks slick and shiny then over time it looks like galvanized steel. Like yours.

So how is this done and to what end? Is it just for kicks or is there a profit to be made? Are they amalgamated in large batches?

Just put a drop of mercury on a dime and rub it in. It looks cool as first. Then over time it gets that sandblasted grey, powdercoat, look

My dad turned me on to this when I was about 8 or 9.

Some kid might have done it in the 60s or 70s. Hell, it might have been me.
I used to play with mercury a lot when I was a kid. It explains a lot.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:47 am

Please wear gloves if handling mercury.

Now, if someone tells me this is a 1957 "mercury" dime, that will take on new meaning to me. Previously I would have said, "There is no such thing. Take a look at the Redbook."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:00 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Please wear gloves if handling mercury."

But this ruins the joy of licking your fingers.
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm

So it's not a fake '57 dime...it's a real silver dime that once had mercury rubbed into it.

But what fundamentally altered the ring? Did the mercury remove/replace the silver? I'm still cornfused

I can have it weighed next weekend at the flea market, which I intended to do today but had a Biden moment and forgot to bring it.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm

The mercury might be covering up the silver, just like what happens when you see silver plated knives, forks and spoons. I'm definitely out of my area of expertise here, by the way, so I am just speculating.

Recyclersteve

Postby galenrog » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 pm

When a silver coin, such as a dime, is coated with mercury, much like many a kid did 50 years ago, two primary things happen, over time. Mercury will slowly vaporize at room temperature. Mercury will alloy, at room temperature, with the silver/copper alloy at the surface of the dime. Both can take months or a few years to complete. If the dime re-enters circulation, some of the mercury can wear onto hands, paper rolls, other coins, etc.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals