Best place to source gold 1/10 ounces

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best place to source gold 1/10 ounces

Postby Changechecker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:58 am

I have a friend who wants to pick up some 1/10 ounce gold pieces. Can anyone recommend a good source /website to secure some from. Thanks
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Re: Best place to source gold 1/10 ounces

Postby coppernickel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 am

Here and Bullion Stacker are good places to start.

Monarch Precious Metals. They have good prices for 1/10 ounce and grams.
Provident Metals. Lots of sales, but a sale doesn't mean a good buy.
APMEX. Bulk are best buys.

All of these are on line, but give discounts for checks / money orders.

Like everything, shop around. Good shopping.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:39 pm

I always like visiting my LCS before pulling the trigger. Cash only, no trail, no shipping. Plus you get to talk shop with someone on the pulse. Maybe it's not the best deal around, but a few bucks here or there isn't going to make or break your stacking. Plus you can peruse before you buy. FWIW I got some 1/10th sealed CMLs this week for $160 flat each since my state doesn't have sales tax on coins. For online I like Gainesville Coins and Provident Metals for deals, and APMEX for selection.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:27 pm

I agree on checking with your local coin shop. This time of year many should have stuff like that in stock. And, yes, do whatever you can to avoid paying sales tax. If I was in a tax state, I'd even consider driving across state lines (if not too far and assuming I could justify the trip) to buy in a neighboring state. Also, local coin SHOWS might be an alternative, but I don't think you'd find any shows this close to the holidays.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:42 pm

put out a "want to buy" ad here and you might get some notice

or get yourself 1 here

https://www.brettedgell.com/products/gold-at-spot

of course dont use your real phone number

and it may take a few weeks
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:51 am

InfleXion wrote:I always like visiting my LCS before pulling the trigger. Cash only, no trail, no shipping. Plus you get to talk shop with someone on the pulse. Maybe it's not the best deal around, but a few bucks here or there isn't going to make or break your stacking. Plus you can peruse before you buy. FWIW I got some 1/10th sealed CMLs this week for $160 flat each since my state doesn't have sales tax on coins. For online I like Gainesville Coins and Provident Metals for deals, and APMEX for selection.

The local coin shop here closed a few years ago, the idea is out of my paradigm.

I really miss being able to shop.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Local coin shops in western New York are disappearing. We have pawn shops. They buy junk and sell gold. No bargains to be found. I have been working long days/weeks so free time to shop/show him is a premium. I encouraged him to join here but he is procrastinating. Hence I won't buy for him without cash in hand.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:57 pm

I have 7 or 8 1/10 ozers I would sell for 160 if bought all.
I'm in WNY for another 9 days and could meet if he/you wanted to. May also have other things he may want since local. Met MANY people on here over the years so you can feel comfortable.
I'm outside Lockport if that is close to you.
D
misteroman

Postby pennypicker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:38 pm

I'd love to be able to shop at the local coin shop here in gang infested California but unfortunately we used to have three coin shops in my isolated area of 350,000 people but two have closed and the third shop has had its windows broken and the store looted three times in the last year so now the owner sees customers by appointment only. On the third robbery attempt thieves backed in through the large front windows with a pickup truck and attempted load the 7' tall safe onto the truck bed but they couldn't lift it and fled--man I can't wait to get out of this sorry state :thumbdown:
Last edited by pennypicker on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:57 pm

pennypicker wrote: California . . . I can't wait to get out of this sorry state

California is nearly another country as counted by the number of refugees crossing into Nevada headed east. Your immigration to these United States would be welcome, obviously you are one of the thinkers.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:24 am

pennypicker wrote:I'd love to be able to shop at the local coin shop here in gang infested California but unfortunately we used to have three coin shops in my area of 350,000 people but two have closed and the third shop has had its windows broken and the store looted three times in the last year so now the only sees customers by appointment only. On the third robbery attempt thieves backed in through the large front windows with a pickup truck and attempted load the 7' tall safe onto the truck but they couldn't lift it and fled--man I can't wait to get out of this sorry state :thumbdown:

The place was broken into 3 times in a year and don't have burglar bars? Doesn't sound like a business that will survive for long to me...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:02 pm

coppernickel wrote:

California is nearly another country as counted by the number of refugees crossing into Nevada headed east. Your immigration to these United States would be welcome, obviously you are one of the thinkers.

Just came out in the paper yesterday that "Californians are leaving in droves with 190,000 having left so far this year". Happy to say I'll be one of those counted in 2020 as having left!!!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:25 pm

One of my local pawn shops has had a roll of 1/10 oz gold eagles for spot +$10 each that last few times I went in there over the past month. I suspect they still have them.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:48 pm

pennypicker wrote:
coppernickel wrote:

Just came out in the paper yesterday that "Californians are leaving in droves with 190,000 having left so far this year". Happy to say I'll be one of those counted in 2020 as having left!!!

Sorry, but I consider this to be somewhat fake news. 190,000 leaving is less than 1/2 of 1%- not what I would consider "droves"- also for 2018 there was a net increase in the population when you consider those moving in as well. In fairness, the percent of the increase was 0.47%, the lowest since record keeping began in 1900 (according to the California Dept. of Finance).

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

Of course I don't know how they can be sure of anything near a full count when you consider homeless people and illegals that have arrived over the years.

All that said, I can easily understand why someone would want to leave California. What a mess!

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals