Bought 3 fakes at the local coin shop today (unplanned).

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bought 3 fakes at the local coin shop today (unplanned).

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Went to a local coin shop today where they had silver dollars in a candy bowl for $8 each. I didn't have my scale with me, and they didn't have one there, so I took the chance and bought them. The weights are off on all 3!!! I emailed them and told them that their sellers are selling counterfeit coins, and they replied saying I can return them. The coins are 1878-s, 1844-o, 1845-o. They should all weigh 26.73g -27.22g, but the 1878-S is 31g and the other 2 are 25.3g each.
Attachments
20191227_212440-1.jpg
20191227_212440-1.jpg (470 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Last edited by thecrazyone on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Bought 3 fakes at the local coin shop today (unplanned).

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Pic 2
Attachments
20191227_212419-2.jpg
20191227_212419-2.jpg (478.98 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:54 am

With all due respect, this doesn't sound like much of a coin shop if they sell something without putting it in a holder marked "copy", "replica" or "counterfeit". Technically, it might be illegal to sell known counterfeits. Also, you should be able to get known counterfeits for more like $3-5 each. I have a bunch that I intentionally keep as decoys in case of theft. I don't plan on ever selling them, but it is nice to have them around just in case.

Also, the price you paid wasn't even close to the fair market price for an authentic version of the same date. That right there should have been a hint that something was wrong.

That said, there are times when you can get a good deal on a dealer's mistake. I remember a few: a dealer had a penny in a 2x2 marked as a 1909- it was a 1909-VDB. Another had a quarter in a 2x2 marked as a 1920-S- it was a more valuable 1920-D. Also, on eBay, I remember seeing a coin that was described as a seated quarter- it was clearly a half dollar and worth a fair amount more.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 am

Yep, I knew I was taking a chance to some extent, but totally agree that they should have some kind of sign inferring that the coins could be fake.

The store is in sections and the sections have items from various sellers. I didn't want to be *that* customer, but don't feel like I should be stuck with $30 in junk, either. I am going to use those funds to buy something else in their store today though. I will also be bringing my scale :)
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:34 am

You are experiencing a very steep learning curve. Money tends to fall out of your pockets at these times. Good job getting the lessons behind you. Well done.

If you want to find rare and possibly overlooked, valuable coins at one of these consignment places, you will not find them in a bowl of silver dollars or in a 2x2.

Search the junk bins. Learn your foreign coins and you will find some form of undervalued treasure on most coin store visits. Look outside the silver box. There is bronze booty to be had. You will quickly start finding coins for under $1 that are worth $5-$10 occasional 15-20 dollar coins. Sometimes you get lucky and score a bunch japan yen, swiss francs, pound coins. These are fun and exciting scores. Once you get an eye for it, you can spot a good junk bin right away. What's really fun is when you find a good foreign coin box and make a play for the whole bin. Man, I have made some great buys doing that.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:09 pm

They refunded my money, and tried to tell me that sometimes weights can be off due to wear.... One of the 3 was off by 4g, lol.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals