1956 D error coin in the wild?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1956 D error coin in the wild?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:19 am

I got bored in the middle of watching the Super Bowl last night and started sorting my jar of pocket change. (Chiefs won! Whoohoo!)

Lo and behold I found a silver dime! It has been over 15 years since I last saw a silver dime on the loose and in the wild! Upon inspecting it under my bench magnifying glass it might be an error coin! The tips on T and Y in "LIBERTY" are almost pointed instead of flat. They are very faint, too. The cross bar on the T is almost non-existant.

There is a 1956 D error coin listed on the 'net for $7,450. IF they can get $7,450 for that coin, mine is a cinch to get it also! https://www.etsy.com/listing/728572950/ ... gKFavD_BwE
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 1956 D error coin in the wild?

Postby Saabman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 am

Sweet!! WTG!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25 am

picture?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby galenrog » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:19 pm

I can not comment on your coin, since you have not yet provided any images. The coin you linked to on Etsy, however, is a common Roosevelt dime. It shows no evidence of die doubling. There is 60 plus years of circulation wear and damage, plus some evidence of mechanical doubling. Just another silver dime worth it’s weight in silver. Etsy, like eBay, is heavily infested with sellers willing to make any claim to scam the unsuspecting out of money.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:39 am

galenrog wrote:I can not comment on your coin, since you have not yet provided any images. The coin you linked to on Etsy, however, is a common Roosevelt dime. It shows no evidence of die doubling. There is 60 plus years of circulation wear and damage, plus some evidence of mechanical doubling. Just another silver dime worth it’s weight in silver. Etsy, like eBay, is heavily infested with sellers willing to make any claim to scam the unsuspecting out of money.

Time for more coffee.

Yeah you are probably right. That is why I put "IF" in capitol letters. IF that dime on Etsy can go for $7,450.00, then this one will fetch a good price, too. Looking at it under the microscope, there might have been some kind of mechanical action that would have gouged the cross bar in the T and the top of the Y off the coin.

Still, it was a thrill to find it in the first place! :thumbup: I will get a picture up this evening.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Something else that might be worth noting...

Lincoln pennies in this general timeframe (1956-1958) had so many errors/varieties that it would be difficult to list them all. There were tons of filled letters, numbers and mintmarks, BIE cents, etc. Someone else can correct me on the years- it may have been more than just the three years.

I don't remember hearing much about errors on other denominations during that timeframe. It could be due to so many more people collecting pennies as young kids who couldn't afford lots of higher denominations.

That said, it makes me wonder how many errors there really are on the other denominations that haven't officially been discovered and published because they aren't worth much.

I guess this is just a fancy way of saying that I wouldn't pay much for an error in the 50's without studying it much more closely- unless, of course it was something really cool (a la the 2004 Wisconsin extra leaf (up and down) quarters.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals