Hardcore Ag stackers still out there???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Hardcore Ag stackers still out there???

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 pm

If so, you should be buying...

RIGHT NOW!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Hardcore Ag stackers still out there???

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:09 pm

What kind of premium on your recent buy?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Tough to do. Two days ago I placed an "in stock-alert" notification at JM Bullion on a new 2020 100 oz Royal Canadian Mint silver bar due to their being out of stock. This morning I received an email alert from JM letting me know they just received a shipment of new 2020 RCM 100 oz bars and I could have locked in at $1582 (no tax and free delivery). An hour later I came back to their website to make the buy and they were sold out again! :o Advice: if your going to buy you better not hesitate--especially on high demand, quality silver!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm

68Camaro wrote:What kind of premium on your recent buy?

Today, when silver hit $14.60, I bought a $250 FV junk bag at Apmex. The premium at that time was $1.49 over spot.

The premium on 90% has risen and is now $3.49 over spot. An increase of +135%.

The Apmex website now says this:
"NOTE: Due to extreme order volumes, please expect a shipping delay of up to 3 business days."

The stuff is flying off the shelves!
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:33 pm

I was seeing $1.10 above for generic .999 bullion earlier today - if it is still there. 15.61/oz I believe, when spot was 14.51.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby slvrbck » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 am

Been collecting silver since I was a kid getting small coins from relatives as gifts. Been dreaming of buying a monster box for many many years now. Pulled the trigger yesterday just before the speech. We shall see. Potential tricky roads ahead for all. Stay safe, healthy and stack on. . .
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:08 pm

I quickly snagged about 800toz. We are not at a bottom and I expect another nice buying opportunity.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Seems like I've been doing a lot of bottom fishing in several markets. No doubt I'll be able to snag something before too long.

Markets are distressed and many may be looking for some quick cash. That's when I dust off the welcome mat and say, "All are welcome."

These are challenging times and we're all wondering what's going to happen tomorrow, next week, and in the coming months. Yup, I'm almost approaching Geezerville at my age, but I have no desire to hide in a corner at these challenging times.

Hang tough, RCers. We're in this for the long (or longer) haul and I plan to survive.

Know Common Cents
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:I quickly snagged about 800toz. We are not at a bottom and I expect another nice buying opportunity.

Doc, I laughed when I read that...NOT "at you"...no, come on.i laughed because when I was young and on the CME floor, you are what we, in admiration, would call a "BSD"...what's that mean?....a "Big Swinging D##k"...its a COMPLIMENT!! Holy cow, 800 toz!....I got "good" as to my stack back in 18....for the level of my purse, I was going wild from 14 to 18, now i'm good...that said, I wouldn't mind another 800 toz, but these ten angus beef cattle need to be fed.....they're looking good, be well, n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:Seems like I've been doing a lot of bottom fishing in several markets. No doubt I'll be able to snag something before too long.

Markets are distressed and many may be looking for some quick cash. That's when I dust off the welcome mat and say, "All are welcome."

These are challenging times and we're all wondering what's going to happen tomorrow, next week, and in the coming months. Yup, I'm almost approaching Geezerville at my age, but I have no desire to hide in a corner at these challenging times.

Hang tough, RCers. We're in this for the long (or longer) haul and I plan to survive.

Know Common Cents

KCC, I sure did like what you wrote, specifically this "Hang tough, RCers. We're in this for the long (or longer) haul and I plan to survive."...and in that spirit, let me dedicate this song to you and all the other RCer's, even the ones that have to leave in the urban/suburban areas

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 am

Rodebaugh wrote: I quickly snagged about 800toz. We are not at a bottom and I expect another nice buying opportunity.

Nice job Rode! :thumbup:

The window between the big price dump bottom and the premium increase was only about 45 minutes.

I'm a futures trader and have charts up all day. I take advantage of any large price drops quickly.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am

I've used all my available cash to buy silver, well and good stuffs, etc. After premiums buying rounds for less than $17 each seems amazing. I never thought I would see these low prices, let alone over a weekend providing time to shop around.

I'm not willing to trust the "few days to ship." When Platinum dropped low last month, I bought 2 x 1 /10 Britannias. Their next day shipping still took two weeks.

My thinking may be too "conspiratorial," but this could be THE depression we are afraid of.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm

I'm not hoping to be "rewarded" in the afterlife. I want to make a sizable profit soon after posting this.

There will be extraordinary deals to be had as PM dealers scrounge to get a fistful of "working cash" to buy AG or AU. Cash is KING at this moment and it's time to smash open all of the piggy banks you have.

Nothing like a good crisis to create a bargain (provided you know where to look).
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pmbug » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am

I went by my LCS yesterday morning. They were almost wiped out of 1 toz gold. While I was in there, another customer came in looking for some silver. He told the salesman that silver spot hit $13 something and the salesman scoffed and said, "spot doesn't mean anything." The premiums on silver are nuts right now. He quoted him $17 something for ASEs (which the US Mint has sold out of). He (the salesman) told me that he is being quoted 3-6 week delays on getting new inventory in.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:09 pm

pmbug wrote:I went by my LCS yesterday morning. They were almost wiped out of 1 toz gold. While I was in there, another customer came in looking for some silver. He told the salesman that silver spot hit $13 something and the salesman scoffed and said, "spot doesn't mean anything." The premiums on silver are nuts right now. He quoted him $17 something for ASEs (which the US Mint has sold out of). He (the salesman) told me that he is being quoted 3-6 week delays on getting new inventory in.

$17-18 is actually a very good deal right now for ASEs. After hearing that he/you should've bought ALL he had. Most bullion dealers are charging $22-25 each, depending on the volume discount amounts.

I really posted this as an alert to buy because I knew premiums were going up very soon. Stackers have to act very quickly when prices get smashed because the window of opportunity only lasts so long. Most bullion dealers inventories have been cleaned out and LCS's are not going to sell anything close to spot now.

Those who missed the boat can try playing the waiting game. Ag prices could remain low for some time. As markets calm down, inventory comes back, demand wanes and the premiums gradually come down. However, considering what is going on in the economy and financial markets right now, I highly doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.

This virus is going to be around for a while, probably 6-12 months. This 75% service based economy is going to get eviscerated during that time. Even after it's over, it will take a while before people start acting normal again and the economy improves.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:...
$17-18 is actually a very good deal right now for ASEs. After hearing that he/you should've bought ALL he had. Most bullion dealers are charging $22-25 each, depending on the volume discount amounts. ...

Well F me. I was so focused on the gold I wanted that I hadn't checked the going rate for ASEs, but after reading your comment I looked around. I'm going to call my LCS tomorrow morning and see if he has any left in stock and what kind of deal he is offering.

pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 am

pmbug wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:...
$17-18 is actually a very good deal right now for ASEs. After hearing that he/you should've bought ALL he had. Most bullion dealers are charging $22-25 each, depending on the volume discount amounts. ...

Well F me. I was so focused on the gold I wanted that I hadn't checked the going rate for ASEs, but after reading your comment I looked around. I'm going to call my LCS tomorrow morning and see if he has any left in stock and what kind of deal he is offering.

If he has them?... $25-28 each is my guess.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 am

JMB has only 4 silver items left - odd-ball .999 - at lower prices. Things like 5 oz (at $17) and 1 kg (at $16.55) skulls. If you're into that - some might say that silver is silver :)
68Camaro

Postby pmbug » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am

Just got back from my LCS. I got a stack of 2019 ASEs for $19 each. The $17 something quote may have been for generic silver rounds. I was only half paying attention to their conversation the other day.

Another customer in there was picking up a sealed monster box of ASEs.

pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 pm

One of my LCS has Eagles for $21...at least that was his price about 2 hours ago.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 am

It is interesting how many people talk a good game and then back down in the moment of truth. I've heard people saying things (not just on the web but in coin shops, at shows, etc.) like "If the gold/silver ratio hits 100, I'm gonna back up the truck." Well it just hit 124 yesterday. I think that may be an all-time high.

If I challenged that same person now they would sheepishly say "Ah, I never owned a truck..." :)

It brings to mind the old saying "Talk is cheap."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 am

Recyclersteve wrote:It is interesting how many people talk a good game and then back down in the moment of truth. I've heard people saying things (not just on the web but in coin shops, at shows, etc.) like "If the gold/silver ratio hits 100, I'm gonna back up the truck." Well it just hit 124 yesterday. I think that may be an all-time high.

If I challenged that same person now they would sheepishly say "Ah, I never owned a truck..." :)

It brings to mind the old saying "Talk is cheap."

I did back it up. Besides the 90% $500 FV, I bought more RCM 10oz bars too.

Now, 90% of all inventory is sold out and premiums are sky high.

Most probably didn't buy, or they missed it, or they gave up on Ag. Look how much the posts/participation here has dropped since 2011.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 am

I have the truck running and ready to go. I would love to back it up and LOAD it up!!

But I am not going to pay $22 for $12 dollar silver.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 am

NDFarmer wrote:...
But I am not going to pay $22 for $12 dollar silver.

What if $12 silver is an illusion?

More and more refineries, mints and fellow bullion dealers are suspending their operations indefinitely. At BullionStar, we are facing significant operational and stock inventory challenges. There’s an acute shortage for particularly Gold Coins, Silver Bars and Silver Coins. For Gold Bars, some of the private refineries are still open and take orders but have long backlogs.

What does this mean for price premiums?

Due to the paper spot and futures precious metals markets no reflecting the demand and supply for physical precious metals, premiums are high and are fluctuating a lot.
In a scenario where the paper spot market doesn’t rally to balance physical demand and supply, physical precious metals will no longer be priced based on the spot market. Bullion dealers will stop pricing metals. Many have already done so by suspending the accepting of orders.

When preferences in the derivatives paper spot and futures markets, which are unbacked or only partially backed by precious metals, differ from supply and demand in the physical market, prices disconnect.

The window for purchasing physical precious metals with fiat currency is quickly closing. At this time, it is still possible to settle physical precious metals purchases in fiat currency with some bullion dealers. At BullionStar, we are still accepting orders for precious metals settled in fiat currencies, and priced based on spot with a premium, but that is subject to change.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/bullionstar/bullionstar-update-the-window-to-purchase-precious-metals-with-fiat-currency-is-closing/

A little bit over the top? Or are we there yet?

... However, if its physical silver you wish to purchase, good luck finding it anywhere near the spot price. At two renowned precious metals dealers I surveyed this morning, physical silver is selling at massive premiums to the spot price.

What is known as "junk silver", primarily 90% pure silver coins minted in the U.S. prior to 1965, with no numismatic value, can be had for about $20.62/an ounce ($1475 for a $100 face value bag of junk silver which contains 71.5 ounces of silver). That's a premium of nearly $8, or a whopping 63% above silver's current spot price. One-ounce Silver American Eagle coins have even higher spreads to the spot price, in lower quantities it can be $12/ounce, a 95% premium to spot.

Business is brisk and inventories are low or empty, as consumers clamor for physical metal they can hold in their hand. I've never seen premiums this high, which is an indicator of the fear that is so prevalent. Silver is especially popular because it can be purchased in very small increments. In the doomsday scenario, silver coins dime, quarters, half dollars, silver dollars (and even nickels minted between 1942 and 1945, which contained 35% silver) are small enough that they could be exchanged for smaller goods. That's one of the draws here, but the disconnect between the spot price and physical silver is astounding.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/investing/there-s-an-interesting-situation-playing-out-in-the-silver-markets-15268913

I managed to score a little bit of gold and silver at my LCS over the last couple of days. I've bought metal at lower price points, but I'm not sweating the deals I got. At least I was able to buy some.

pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:10 am

If I was hardcore I'd have pulled the trigger more than I have. My dad got rid of his CMLs at $16.50 spot so I bumped it up to $18 to do him a solid and because the LCS wouldn't have offered more than $16. Also bought a shed and a fridge this month so trying to build up a bit more savings before the next purchase. I've noticed shipping delays keep getting longer. The 3 closest LCS never had any stock the last 2 weeks, and one of them is now shutdown for the virus supposedly. Likely this week I will see what I can get online since yesterday was payday.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals