H.R.6192 - 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

H.R.6192 - 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act

Postby coinplug » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 am

Hi All,

Finally decided to join the forum after years of passively reading posts. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for posting this. Hope you all enjoy this read.

Yesterday, the United States House of Representatives voted and passed bill H.R. 6192. The bill would authorize the United States Mint to begin producing and selling a Morgan Dollar and Peace Dollar in 2021 to commemorative the 100th anniversary of the change from the Morgan to the Peace Dollar in our coinage history.

The full text of the bill can be found here and the bill has now gone to the Senate. There, the bill has been read and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. While the bill is still not guaranteed to pass and become law, this is a significant step in the fraught process of making these coins happen next year.

An effort to empower the US Mint to issue coins celebrating the Morgan and Peace Dollars, two of America’s most-loved series, has been re-introduced in Congress. The bill (H.R. 6192), which is called the 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act, would be an exciting development for US numismatics and deserves the widespread support of the coin collecting community.

Previous legislation to issue these as commemorative coins in 2021 stalled. Now, a new effort is underway that champions this important cause. If it becomes law, it would require that the Mint issue 2021 coins with the designs of the extremely popular Morgan and Peace Dollars.

In the legislation itself, it calls for a 2021 Morgan Dollar and 2021 Peace Dollar to be produced by the United States Mint with the same Obverse and Reverse as the original coins (though they likely will be enhanced due to modern die technology). The coins are to be sold as a Numismatic product by the Mint and they can be sold starting January 1, 2021 for a period of one year.

With this initial hurdle finally cleared, it is now a question of if the bill will make it out of committee and to the Senate for a vote. The Senate itself has an identical bill (S. 4326) which too is a positive sign. Collectors are encouraged to reach out to their Senators to encourage their vote for the bill once it is out of committee.

Source:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... /6192/text
coinplug

Re: H.R.6192 - 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act

Postby Morsecode » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Interesting, and for once something worthy to commemorate. :thumbup:

And welcome to the forum 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 am

This will be interesting to watch when it happens.

One possible negative consequence— it may cheapen the value of existing MS-65 to 67 coins when there are a whole bunch of MS-69 to 70 coins (new type) available.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi coinplug, thanks for joining us, and thanks for the info on the potential new silver dollars. It would be nice to see some new stackers get started due to the release of the coins.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:37 am

Nice to see a new member and I like this news. I used to collect all the modern silver dollars but slacked off on it the last few years sadly. I will have to grab a few of these. I doubt it will hurt the value of the older ones but who knows with these things. Id love to own one of the old school proof silver dollars one day. Modern ones wont change that for me anyway.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:24 pm

My LCS owner told me that the 1921 Morgan and Peace $ are already rising in value due to the 2021 likely issues. The thinking is that potential customers will get so excited about having coins from 2021 as well as ones from 100 years earlier (if available). The LCS owner said the smart investor could make enough profit on the 1921s (AU-UNC) to pay for the 2021 issues.

Like anything else, that remains to be seen. Hmmmmm! I wonder.....
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:My LCS owner told me that the 1921 Morgan and Peace $ are already rising in value due to the 2021 likely issues. The thinking is that potential customers will get so excited about having coins from 2021 as well as ones from 100 years earlier (if available). The LCS owner said the smart investor could make enough profit on the 1921s (AU-UNC) to pay for the 2021 issues.

Like anything else, that remains to be seen. Hmmmmm! I wonder.....

Looks like you were spot on : https://www.apmex.com/category/25925/bu ... llars-1921
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals