Lets have a discussion on white gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Lets have a discussion on white gold

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:31 pm

I see conflicting information on the web. And metal alloy stuff are far as jewelry goes is a mystery to me.

For most of my life I thought it was platinum. Then I understood it to be an alloy, or a natural color of certain gold.

Now I read its rhodium plated. Does white gold tarnish or turn yellow.?

I know there is an expert here?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Lets have a discussion on white gold

Postby smackvay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:08 pm

Thogey wrote:I see conflicting information on the web. And metal alloy stuff are far as jewelry goes is a mystery to me.

For most of my life I thought it was platinum. Then I understood it to be an alloy, or a natural color of certain gold.

Now I read its rhodium plated. Does white gold tarnish or turn yellow.?

I know there is an expert here?

true white gold does NOT
i work with a guy than cant wear gold so they plated his gold ring in rhodium so it looks like gold but doesnt break him out
platinum is platinum
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:51 pm

There is a wide variety of alloys that can form white gold. Because there is not a single, specific mix, it can seem a bit confusing. Regardless of alloy, gold is still present, rarely under 25% or over 75%. Typical metals included in the alloy are platinum, palladium, silver, nickel, copper, and manganese. These are, by no means, an inclusive list.

Rhodium is used to plate the finished item to intensify the white color, prevent oxidation, and act as a barrier to allergens, as some people react to some of the metals used. My wife has a .650 fine (65% gold) white gold ring she inherited from an aunt. In the thirty years she has had it, she has had it replated about every five years, primarily to prevent reaction to both copper and nickel in the alloy.

Any tarnish or discoloration of white gold is due to oxidation of alloy metals other than gold, such as silver or copper.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:08 am

White gold is almost exclusively rhodium plating over conventional gold alloy. The rhodium is a fairly microscopic thin plasma plating that is just thick enough to change the visual appearance to silverish like platinum (which for most of modern times has been more expensive than gold. On frequently worn items like wedding rings the rhodium plating wears off every couple years and needs to be replated, which jewelers have the equipment to do, and it can be done while you wait. Any jewels (if there are any) are polished to remove any plating that gets on them. Ironically platinum is now cheaper than either gold or rhodium so in a new ring I would pick platinum myself if thst is the look you want.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 am

I'm not the metalurgy expert that some of you are but my parents exchanged white gold rings in 1952.

No tarnish but perhaps a little blackening like sterling.

I find it hard to believe that the white was a plating rather than part of the alloy.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:20 am

smackvay wrote:
true white gold does NOT

So is there an alloy or purity level that is considered true white gold?

I guess I dont see why you would have jewelry made of a precious metal if you had to plate it :?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby smackvay » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 am

Thogey wrote:
smackvay wrote:
true white gold does NOT

So is there an alloy or purity level that is considered true white gold?

I don’t have that answer if you could get market harmony to chime in he is super knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

Mike
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 am

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold and note the illustration. While I can't speak to possible nickel alloys (the illustration is for the gold copper silver trinary) most reputable jewelers don't use nickel as a gold alloy agent. There is no single alloy at any reasonable gold level (9 kt or higher) that looks silver by itself. If the ring is marked 10 kt or 12 it or 14 it then it will look yellow underneath the rhodium plating.

As to white gold from the "olden" days, there was a time when it was used as a synonym for platinum back before platinum got it's reputation as desirable. My grandmother got a platinum ring in the early 50s and she called it white gold.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby scrapman1077 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 am

"If the ring is marked 10 kt or 12 it or 14 it then it will look yellow underneath the rhodium plating."

Not true, Wife and I exchanged white gold rings in 1975, she had to have her ring cut off and it is the same color thru the ring, not plated, not platinum. We have platinum now, totally different color from our old rings.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:07 am

Same reference acknowledges that gold–palladium–silver and gold–nickel–copper–zinc alloys are (or were) used for white gold, and even those were/are normally plated with rhodium. Maybe yours was one of those. The nickel alloys are less desirable due to allergic reactions. The Pd alloy is currently more expensive than gold, though not during past times. Main point is that there is no standard white gold alloy. Platinum is the cheapest current "white" jewelry metal.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:50 am

good discussion..learning. :clap:

Here's a question. is there a way to tell visually if a ring is "true white gold" and or plated?
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 pm

And a more modern data point on what can be observed with white gold - my wife's current rings are rhodium plated white gold circa 2009 and the rhodium wears through to a yellowish cast underneath. She just had them replated with a new layer of rhodium last year.
68Camaro

Postby smackvay » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Thogey wrote:good discussion..learning. :clap:

Here's a question. is there a way to tell visually if a ring is "true white gold" and or plated?

If i question a plated ring i do a deep scratch test on it. After looking at a ton of rings you can learn to spot bad makers marks or it just looks off sometimes
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:31 pm

68Camaro, and others, are correct in that most “white gold” is simply standard yellow alloys that have been plated, primarily with rhodium, and that some “white gold” of the past is platinum.

End the end, there are a lot of ways that “white gold” has been, and is, made. It is confusing to some, and a world of infinite variety to others. The trick is to learn to recognize what you have, which takes a great deal of knowledge and experience.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:39 pm

I have a 14k white gold wedding band that I’ve been wearing since 1999 and it shows no yellowing.

I used to take it off when I was in construction during the work day and to play golf, but those days are long ago.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 pm

I have cast and had cast quite a few silver colored gold crowns. galenrog hit the nail on the head; allows can differ wildly within the au purity range 25-75%.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:38 am

I commissioned a custom gold ring for our 25th wedding anniversary for my wife....I like yellow gold but she wanted white gold...My jeweler that I have known since birth told me she would make it with platinum to get the white...now y'all have me curious as to the content of each metal.

We do a lot of mine tours when able to...In Georgetown CO they have several that are all fantastic. On one of the tours the guide was explaining that the miners were pulling a lot of silver colored ore out of the mine that wasn't silver ore...they used this ore to fill the town's potholes. When the Platinum was discovered in the ore the potholes reappeared over night. I don't know if the story is true or just tourist fodder.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals