This book is a better investment than silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

This book is a better investment than silver

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:26 am

I have an alert set up on Ebay for this book, as I really wish to purchase a copy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114578825571?ul_noapp=true

The price of this one is what they are going for, but a bit high for my budget.
Anyone know of a place to get a actual copy or even an electronic (e-book) version?
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Re: This book is a better investment than silver

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Crazy price. I bought one a few years ago for about $30. Read it and then gave it to a friend.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pm

I don't see any sold listings on ebay to know what they have sold for previously. Just because somebody is asking that much doesn't mean anyone would pay that. I think I paid about $20 for mine.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Free to borrow from the local library. I had to order it and wait for it to be available. I think I had to pay a token fee, about fifty cents, for delivery from the main branch.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Great book and fun to read. I got mine from someone on Realcent, I think a KSA It was about $20 if I remember right.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:08 am

Similar prices on Amazon. What's the deal?
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:13 am

Check prices at used bookstores in your area. I imagine you might be able to locate a copy for $30-50. It is a very good book with some interesting war stories in it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:34 am

"This book", what an interesting title for a book. I wonder what its topic is.

I really do not see any need to click on an eBay link. The title is just so descriptive and informative!
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:53 am

Out of print books can run up in price.

Having your local library find it and borrow it is a great ideal.

Checking your local used bookshop is likely to be a waste of time.

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=s ... r%2520melt
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:06 am

Bought this book when I was a teen. Interesting read. One of the first PM books I ever bought.

I started buying silver coins in 1978 as a hobby.

I started buying 90% bags in 1985. Nobody wanted them. The LCS guy was selling them very close to spot, he was actually using one as a doorstop. I sold one bag in 2011, but I still have most of them.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:34 am

IdahoCopper wrote:"This book", what an interesting title for a book. I wonder what its topic is.

I really do not see any need to click on an eBay link. The title is just so descriptive and informative!

"This book" is The Big Silver Melt
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:07 pm

The Amazon price is also what surprised me...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Holy cow! Is this book actually selling for those prices? Anyone got an explanation? When I saw that E-bay listing I thought it was a joke.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:47 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Holy cow! Is this book actually selling for those prices? Anyone got an explanation? When I saw that E-bay listing I thought it was a joke.

Its out of print. When demand exceeds supply, the price rises. (Unlike PMs, there are no book futures for JPM to short)

If you think that is expensive, check this one out, Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman
https://www.amazon.com/Margin-Safety-Ri ... fetynet-20

I used to go to book fairs and buy books and resell them on amazon. You can still find books that are worth something, https://www.booksalefinder.com/, its just more of a pain to sell them now.

I once sold an ACT study guide that I bought for 10 cents for $330 (total fluke). I bought 30 unsold textbooks from a college bookstore for $150 - they were switching to the new edition - and I sold them all for $125 each. Those were some of my biggest success stories; if I counted all of my time and expenses I averaged about $40/hour. You have to be a book lover and put in the hours and buy a lot of stuff. You used to be able to list it and ship it to amazon where it would sell at a premium, but amazon really jacked up their fees and the game is a fraction of what it used to be. A lot of hobbyists and hustlers like me got out of the business so there is less supply of used books and prices are edging up.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:36 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:
TXSTARFIRE wrote:Holy cow! Is this book actually selling for those prices? Anyone got an explanation? When I saw that E-bay listing I thought it was a joke.

Its out of print. When demand exceeds supply, the price rises. (Unlike PMs, there are no book futures for JPM to short)

If you think that is expensive, check this one out, Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman
https://www.amazon.com/Margin-Safety-Ri ... fetynet-20

Found a FREE PDF copy of that book - safe download if you want a copy (Got link from Reddit)
https://www.reddit.com/r/SecurityAnalysis/comments/9ur2no/margin_of_safety_seth_klarman_pdf/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/27sjwjb30ic0qst/Margin-of-Safety.pdf/file
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:28 am

Interesting.

To be clear, I've never read the book and I don't suggest its price is related to its value; instead, its scarcity relative to its demand.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:28 am

The price of The Big Silver Melt seems to run in waves. They don't sell at those astronomical prices, that's just what the pricing algorithm does (that the big used book sellers use) when there are no other copies available. I've sold a bunch through my website for $30 over the last few years. I might have one left. Maybe it's a good time to auction it off :lol:
natsb88

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals