Premiums for Peace/Morgan Dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premiums for Peace/Morgan Dollars

Postby Changechecker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:48 pm

Curious what premiums people are seeing or paying for Peace or Morgan dollars?
I see them quite often in antique shops but the premiums seem quite high. Thanks
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Re: Premiums for Peace/Morgan Dollars

Postby franklin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Around here about 8-9 bucks.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 pm

franklin wrote:Around here about 8-9 bucks.

$8 or $9 bucks over what? Redbook value?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 pm

Over melt. As I type, silver content value of a Morgan/Peace is around $21. They are going for close to $30 at our 1 shop and at a gun show this last weekend.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:43 am

franklin wrote:Over melt. As I type, silver content value of a Morgan/Peace is around $21. They are going for close to $30 at our 1 shop and at a gun show this last weekend.

It would be great to get Morgans close to melt. There are members here that have said they are able to find Morgans a couple of dollars over melt. If I could find them in my area I would be buying them. Around here the smooth ones that I would call culls sell for $30 and if they have any quality at all to them they sell for $35
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:19 am

I visited an antique mall and seems that what I am finding is in line with what others are finding. Cull quality is about $30.00 and anything with any quality is $40. -$50.00.
Seems to me no one wants the culls at this price point. The better quality seems to be collecting dust at $50.00.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:38 am

If you want Morgan's/Peace dollars don't buy culls. Spend a little more and buy some that are at least VF. I've bought and sold many over the past 35 years. Sold 500 BU 1921 Morgan's in April 2011 for $40 a piece.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals