GLD and GDX

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

GLD and GDX

Postby Changechecker » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:35 pm

I have a 401k and I would like to diversify some. My belief is that gold price is going to start going up after summer.
I hear a lot about GLD and GDX. I like VanEck gold ETF as I could probably afford to take a "position " in the fund.
I could use some advice about how to go about it. I would like to do this separately from my 401 (don't know if there is a way to do it through my 401).
Can someone advise a layman about how to do this and potential pitfalls. Thanks
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Re: GLD and GDX

Postby stas3000 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:16 pm

We'll see if my reply helps at all. I believe one of the things you are asking is whether or not it is possible to open up a position in a gold-related ETF inside a 401k and what other types of accounts could work for that. The answer, based on my experience, is that MOST 401k plans due to design will not allow you to buy/sell ETF's and individual stocks. But I believe you were kind of leaning toward not going that route anyway. Discount and full-service brokers can set up various accounts for you (tax-sheltered, taxable, whatever) that will allow you to buy/sell gold ETF's all day long. For example, Fidelity Investments or Schwab can set up a Roth IRA account for you, you can fund it with $6k (max for 2021) and then have at it with buying/selling just about anything as they offer a variety of things on their platform. Any gains should be tax free. Any losses will not carry tax advantages either. Once you withdraw, there should be no tax but subject to some stipulations. Oh and not long ago, trading commissions were dropped by most discount brokers so you are trading almost fee-free (government fees still remain but they are pretty small).

While GLD is by far the most liquid gold-linked ETF in the States, I prefer AAAU and SGOL. I'm not 100% sure how much actual physical gold is behind any of them. No one really is. AAAU was recently sold from Perth Mint to Goldman Sachs, SGOL (and GLD?) use JP Morgan as custodian... We can have a long debate about that. If there is any it's somewhere far away never to be seen by small fish like us. :lol: The biggest advantage of AAAU and SGOL over GLD is annual expense. They are "cheaper" if you hold them for over a year. But if you prefer to get in and out frequently then GLD is the best due to tiny bid/ask spreads and incredible daily trading volume. If you are really into it you can look at UGL which is a leveraged fund which "seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, that correspond to two times (2x) the daily performance of the Bloomberg Gold Subindex". GLL is the inverse of UGL.

Let us know whether or not this is at all headed down the right path...
Last edited by stas3000 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:20 pm

There are some 401Ks that allow trading. Mine does. My wife's doesn't. Regardless, of what type of account, if you're looking for a gold fund that is 100% backed, consider PHYS, which is the gold analog to PSLV for silver.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:00 pm

My son recommended setting up a TD Ameritrade account to trade. I am o.k. with doing that. Once open I want to buy gold stocks or a gold ETF. I will buy and hold. I was hoping to take a position before fall. Thanks
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby stas3000 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:28 pm

For stocks and ETF's, TD Ameritrade is a good broker based on first hand experience. I still have one account there. The company was acquired by Charles Schwab not long ago. We'll see what happens, if anything, after they are integrated.

Their support folks are US-based (unless that changed in 2020-21). They can help with setting up the right type of account. Online trades execute very well: quick and easy. There is also more sophisticated software available to TDA clients that enjoy trading. Potentially free of charge. But I don't think those that buy occasionally and hold for extended periods of time really need to worry about it.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals