Selling Dental Gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Selling Dental Gold

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 pm

Does anyone here have recommendations on selling dental gold? I have 2 very old large dental crowns from molars I am looking to sell. There is still dental cement inside the crowns. I was reading they can be anywhere from 10-22 kt. The color looks like they are on the higher kt.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Re: Selling Dental Gold

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:13 am

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 am

Tourney64 wrote:Does anyone here have recommendations on selling dental gold? I have 2 very old large dental crowns from molars I am looking to sell. There is still dental cement inside the crowns. I was reading they can be anywhere from 10-22 kt. The color looks like they are on the higher kt.

I have a few too. The average is 16k.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 06, 2021 6:09 am

Lots of coin dealers buy dental gold. I imagine the barbers and others with “we buy gold” signs won’t pay nearly as much as reputable dealers. Also, it should be fairly easy to sell the gold at certain coin shows.

Back in my stock broker days I had a client who had been a dentist. Many of his patients didn’t want their used fillings, so he threw them into something like a coffee can. After a bunch of years he said he sold the contents to a dealer for $10k or so. This was when gold was around $300-400/oz. One man’s trash...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Lots of coin dealers buy dental gold. I imagine the barbers and others with “we buy gold” signs won’t pay nearly as much as reputable dealers. Also, it should be fairly easy to sell the gold at certain coin shows.

Back in my stock broker days I had a client who had been a dentist. Many of his patients didn’t want their used fillings, so he threw them into something like a coffee can. After a bunch of years he said he sold the contents to a dealer for $10k or so. This was when gold was around $300-400/oz. One man’s trash...

My Uncle Joe (RIP) had many gold teeth. When he got them all replaced with realistic looking false teeth, he kept the gold. He gave all that gold to me when I was a teen. I still have them. Pretty heavy too.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am

I sold my gold crowns online to ReDollar, that still had cement and parts of my tooth in one. They weighed 7.32 grams with the cement and tooth inside. They weighed 6.31 grams with just the crown. They were 60% (14k and 52% 12k gold. I just received my check for $185.69. Process was easy. I filled out a form online and they sent me a shipping label sheet for postage paid shipping to them. They asked if they could remove the cement and tooth to get the proper weight and assays and I said yes. Then they gave me a fair offer. They asked how I wanted paid, PayPal etc, and I chose check. I would recommend.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals