Cull/destroyed 90%

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Cull/destroyed 90%

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51 pm

My lcs has what he calls destroyed 90% silver that he sells by the ounce at spot price. I bought four ounces today I got two peace dollars with holes, some very worn half dollars and quarters and a bent dime, What do you guys think of this destroyed silver? Is it a better buy than regular 90% quarters which is what I usually buy? Destroyed was 26.13 an ounce and regular quarters were 22.48x face
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Cull/destroyed 90%

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:05 pm

Thing about culls is they become more acceptable (therefore more marketable) in larger quantity. A few mashed silver dollars is usually a tough sell, but a bag of 100 of them suddenly becomes a bullion play. At least I have found that to be the case.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:47 pm

Coin silver has historically been used for jewelry. Don't know if that holds true today.

Cull coins as you described would be worth having around, my first thought is decoys.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:27 am

My silversmith friend uses coin silver to make sterling alloy for his work. He hand-makes all kinds of things, engraving the work with intricate designs.

http://silverchip.net/
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am

stonewallrabbitry wrote:My lcs has what he calls destroyed 90% silver that he sells by the ounce at spot price. I bought four ounces today I got two peace dollars with holes, some very worn half dollars and quarters and a bent dime, What do you guys think of this destroyed silver? Is it a better buy than regular 90% quarters which is what I usually buy? Destroyed was 26.13 an ounce and regular quarters were 22.48x face

I don't think it's necessarily a better (or worse) buy than silver coins that are in average circulated or uncirculated condition, just different. You probably pay less for it and you'll likely sell it for less later as well just as you normally pay more for higher grade stuff but also realize more when you sell. In my experience, selling worn/damaged coins can be slightly harder (takes a bit longer) than avg circ/BU stuff as a number of people don't want to even consider it regardless of price.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:30 am

If I saw that I’d consider buying as bullion at spot but I’d want to get a bunch of it so it could be packaged and resold as say 10 ounces ASW. I’d be tempted to send junk like that for reprocessing with other scrap eventually.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:38 pm

Another thought- if a dealer has 10 ugly mutilated silver coins, they might take 1-2 and put them into $100 face bags for sale, figuring they might not even be noticed.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals