Found a load of Ag coins I forgot about

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Found a load of Ag coins I forgot about

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 am

I was going through an old closet in my basement. On the back shelf I found at least $400-500FV Rosy dimes and a bucket of war nickels that I had put there and completely forgot about. :shock: Probably in there for 15 years.

Damn, I'm feeling rich today! :mrgreen:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Found a load of Ag coins I forgot about

Postby silverflake » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Sweet find! I am ecstatic when I reach into a pocket of my winter coat and find a buck left there from last year!

Enjoy the stack!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:29 pm

silverflake wrote:Sweet find! I am ecstatic when I reach into a pocket of my winter coat and find a buck left there from last year!

Enjoy the stack!
:lol:

I remember being a kid in the 70's and rifling through my parents coat closet. Finding $1-5 in a coat pocket was like hitting the lottery!
:P
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Congrats on the great find!

Just curious about something. You mentioned them being in a basement for many years. Was there any moisture damage to the coins or stains on them.

Changing subjects a bit- my great aunt had a basement that got flooded many years ago. Down the drain went about 5,000 Indian cents.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:04 am

Talk about a nice surprise! Did I already send my mailing address? :)
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Congrats on the great find!

Just curious about something. You mentioned them being in a basement for many years. Was there any moisture damage to the coins or stains on them.

None at all. Rosy's were stored on a shelf in a canvas bag. War nickels were in a sealed Lethica bucket. The basement is finished, closet is super dry. Humidity is slightly higher than the rest of the house, but no problem.

Recyclersteve wrote:Changing subjects a bit- my great aunt had a basement that got flooded many years ago. Down the drain went about 5,000 Indian cents.

That is very painful to read. :(
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:29 am

And to think I got all excited 14 years ago when I received a 1963 Washington quarter in change from a coke vending machine :shock: ...a bag of Rosy's probably would have brought on a heart attack!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:49 pm

pennypicker wrote:And to think I got all excited 14 years ago when I received a 1963 Washington quarter in change from a coke vending machine :shock: ...a bag of Rosy's probably would have brought on a heart attack!

I also get excited when I find a silver dime or a war nickel in my change. Finding an Ag quarter in change today is very rare.

There was an old school diner I frequented when I lived in So Cal. Tons of seniors used to come in and out of there all day long. Over the period of 8-9 years I received about 10 silver quarters in my change. My guess is one the seniors who came in there was spending the Ag like it was regular clad.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals