Are war nickels the red-headed stepchild of US silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Are war nickels the red-headed stepchild of US silver?

Postby coindood » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm

I remember going to my local coin shop earlier this year and while chatting about various topics I brought up war nickels. At the time I was looking to accumulate $100/face and was curious what their prices would be. He reacted with disinterest and said something like "Whenever we get any we usually wholesale them out in bulk". I've had similar reactions from dealers at shows, displaying nowhere near the love 90% silver gets.

I understand they don't melt easy, but silver is silver. Two war nickels contain more silver than a 90% dime. Why the disdain?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Are war nickels the red-headed stepchild of US silver?

Postby Silver4face » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:01 pm

Some people on both sides of the fence like them while others on both sides of the fence don't care about them. Either way, they are often considered low priority when compared to other silver. As for my local LCS , one of them was buying at a buck each and selling at two dollars each when silver was around 20. The other LCS is probably paying only .50 to .60 each and probably selling at 1-1.50. I will call tomorrow because now I am curious even though I refuse to sell mine at this time.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby galenrog » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:38 pm

The issue, from my perspective, is the ease of refining. The silver/copper alloy found in 90% silver coins is very easy to refine. The copper/silver/manganese alloy in war nickels is far more problematic.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:44 am

Pulled close to 100 of them from my Ni hoarding efforts during the past 2 years.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 pm

If you compare the buy and sell prices of 90% silver with 35% nickels or even 40% halves, you will likely find much wider spreads on anything with 35%-40% silver. This is a sign that dealers don’t want it because it is hard to sell. In fact I can’t remember ever running into a dealer that seemed to genuinely like dealing with 35%-40% silver.

Any that I find is either sold or traded for 90%.

Someone young or on a tight budget might like it. You could consider selling it at a local coin club. One advantage of it is that it can be used as a decoy in case of potential theft. A coffee can full of either might look more expensive than it really is.

If you want to get really extreme, look at the 10% Mexican silver pesos minted in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Those are even better decoys since they are foreign.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Got these today at an antique store! At least 3 are S coins.
Attachments
20221228_145733-1.jpg
20221228_145733-1.jpg (563.85 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:23 pm

Think you guys nailed it.

Their hard to refine. They take just as long as 90% silver and Sterling Scrap. The same labor and costs for much lower yield. The Manganese is considered a toxic metal and just hard to deal with.

Lots refiners near me do not accept 35% Silver War Nickels for refining- any at price. Think if silver hits $50 or $100 or whatever price point you have the end user in these scenarios are going to be refiners. Had older dealers say in the 1980's during that big silver melt anything bought was going straight to refiners, since the public was interesting in dumping (not buying) silver.

Spread is I sold a few hundred War Nickels for 85 cents each. You could buy them back from the same guy for 95 cents, maybe $1
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:38 pm

I scored a gallon size bag of mixed nickels a few years ago at an auction. I knew there were silver nickels mixed in. My competition was not paying attention or the three bags of silver war nickels he "beat" me when he paid almost full value for were enough. I pulled out around seven rolls. I also added a bunch of dust collecting rolls of silver nickels and sold them on Craigslist. This was during wall street silver squeeze and the buyer was happy because he couldn't get any 90% or rounds. I was happy to oblige and quickly turned the FRN's into 90%.
I notice that silver nickels tend to be the only full box at my dealers shop.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:27 pm

War nickels still are in OK circulation. In a SHTF scenario, they have some value just like coper cents would if people thought metals had value. Guess I am thinking that they might never need to be melted down for them to be barterable for something. The converse is what would the metals scene be like if all of a sudden war nickels traded for a major discount to spot, like 50% discount or worse?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:30 pm

Guess I got jipped today :(
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:48 am

thecrazyone wrote:Guess I got jipped today :(

Wouldn't say that. If you enjoy a hobby and you invest in it then all good. I (and many others) have made purchases of things we liked or considered a good find. Remember that they will always make more paper currency. Silver nickels I doubt. You own them and that's more than most can say.
Consider what it might cost in time and expenses to buy and sort rolls/boxes to find as many as you just scored in one place. Pat yourself on the back. You did well. Some day in the future you will look back and smile thinking about what a good thing it was to have gotten them.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 am

Inexpensive war nickels, especially those found in CRH, are arguably the best value silver that can be commonly had. War nickels have the highest value to face ratio of any US coin, so you get a lot of bang for your nickel. And while they are somewhat less easily sold or traded, they can still be taken by refiners in exchange for bullion.

Not my favorite coin, but nothing wrong with seeking or collecting them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks, guys.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals