Half Dollars - Do "s" Proofs have silver content?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Half Dollars - Do "s" Proofs have silver content?

Postby Deathwish_DW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't really deal with proofs much, but I've found conflicting information so pardon my ignorance.

Do "S" proof half dollars have any silver content?
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Half Dollars - Do "s" Proofs have silver content?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Yes and no. There are clad varities made from 1971 to 1992 issued in proof sets. From 1992 till current there have been Silver S proofs and S clad proofs. They are decernable by looking at the edges. The Silver S proofs are 90% so they will have no copper on the edge. The clad S proof will appear copper.

This link lists the different varities until 2000

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_dollars/k ... llars.html
Last edited by AGCoinHunter on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Deathwish_DW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Ahha! Thank you very much!
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that 1976 has a 40% silver S as well.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:10 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:I'm pretty sure that 1976 has a 40% silver S as well.

Yep, your correct CC, I forgot to mention that one.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 999Ni » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I just actually received my first kennedy silver proof in the mail today. I'm gonna try to get one for each year starting 1992. Some years from the 90's are a bit pricey tho. But there are a lot of years that are not that much over spot. For instance.....the one I got today was $15 w/free ship. (ebay) & circulated '64 kennedy's are going for more than that shipped! So why not a nice silver proof? :mrgreen:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 pm

999Ni wrote:I just actually received my first kennedy silver proof in the mail today. I'm gonna try to get one for each year starting 1992. Some years from the 90's are a bit pricey tho. But there are a lot of years that are not that much over spot. For instance.....the one I got today was $15 w/free ship. (ebay) & circulated '64 kennedy's are going for more than that shipped! So why not a nice silver proof? :mrgreen:

Let me know the best price you find for the 1999. I should be able to beat it and keep us both happy. Ive got a few others as well, but the 99 is a key date I think.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 999Ni » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:20 pm

roger 8-)
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 am

CardsNCoins wrote:I'm pretty sure that 1976 has a 40% silver S as well.

yes, it does. I own one. :) I found one while sorting back in December. That was the day I found a boatload of silver, plus proofs for the first time. :D Although I did have to carefully look at the books to make sure what it was.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals